Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dreamweaver Help just learning

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok so what I did was make my homepage saved it as a template. Then I made the rest of my pages as temolates also. Then saved them as html files. Put links to those html files so I'm going through and checking for dead links and trying to fix them. I've noticed that sometimes it saves them as .html but it also saves them as .htm. What is the correct way to to get the .dwt file when you are all done with it and save it as .html? Just click save as and save or select html the second one in the drop down box? Also When can I wipe all the .html files out and open up all template files and resave them as .html or will that wipe all links out?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I quit using Dreamweaver years ago as it writes such lousy unvalidated code, but I believe there was an Option to set all saves as *.html files and also an Option to use a specific DocType for each new document.

Why so many templates? Just one template for every page should be enough as only the content will change from page to page. The nav menu and footer should all be the same along with any background image and ads you want on each page.

I would suggest that you keep all files on your hard drive in the same directory structure you have online so you will always keep paths correct. Why delete all HTML files when that is what you use online. Seems to make extra work resaving from a "template" each time when it is easier to edit an existing html document.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok after a couple of hours playn around. What I'm doing now is re doing site and picked a layout page I like and modified it to how I want it. So I save as template.? Because the only thing that will really change is the main contents. Then save it as index.html for home page then put what I want on the second page and save that as like xxxx.html and so on? So I set everything up but the main guts for the template?. Then when I open up the template the next time for page 3 I just put what I have in the main content and save as 3.html correct?

Thanks for your help