Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I varify which chipset is in my mainboard?

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi. Something strange that came up. Probably nothing, but thought I'd ask...

I downloaded a freeware program called PC Wizard 2008. It is a utility designed to analyze and benchmark the computer system. I basically just wanted to see if it can identify the hardware I have installed. I ran the program and noticed that under Mainboard it says NorthBridge chipset: Intel P43

The mainboard I have in my system is an ASUS P5Q PRO which should have (according to official spec sheets) an Intel P45 chipset.

For a 2nd opinion I downloaded and installed CPU-Z, another software which can identify system hardware. I ran CPU-Z and it found the chipset to be Intel P45.

So, my question is if PC Wizard 2008 not identifying the correct chipset, in your opinion?

Any way to simply verify this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ASUS P5Q PRO is an Intel P45 chipset.

To all intents and purposes the differences between P43 and P45 are only noticeable by the slots on the board - PCi-Ex x8 slots on the P45 chipset as opposed to a single x16 slot on the P45.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
ok. thanks :)
that clears it up for me.