Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows server 2000 doesnt like NTFS - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

newwebsite

newwebsite

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hope this is in the right place, if not could someone tell me where to put it cheers!

After a lot of messing about I've discovered i can only get windows 2000 server to install if i format the partition as fat32, otherwise it hangs or gives an error after the first installation reboot so i thought no problem, install it under fat32.

I got it all installed fine, went to set up active directory and it says you can only use active directory under NTFS, so i thought it should be OK now, must have been an install problem, so i used the windows command prompt to convert to NTFS, which it did fine, did its usual reboot, then I got 'A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart' (which is one of the errors I get in the first place.

So it seems it just wont work with NTFS, but it won't let me use active directory without NTFS so what can I do?

Im using a 160GB SATA hard drive partitioned but I wouldn't have thought server 2000 would be incompatible with using this under NTFS (i installed the SATA drivers at setup time anyway) so how can i get round this?

Ive installed server 2000 loads of times before under NTFS and its always worked fine, and I know theres nothing wrong with this HDD so I'm not sure what's going on???

Im not sure which version of server im using (didnt check before it died!) but is this a known bug at all, if i reformat as fat32 then install the latest service pack then try and convert to NTFS is it likely to make the slightest difference at all? (doesnt get as far as loading windows, does verifying dmi pool data then errors there, doesnt even try to get into windows, so im not sure if that would change anything???)

Anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You just need to convert the drive to NTFS. You can do that by following the instructions in the Microsoft KB Article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

newwebsite

newwebsite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thats exactly what ive done, and straight after converting it to NTFS i got 'A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart' and now have to re-foramt and start again

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What version of 2000 Server do you have? Is it Service Pack 4? If it isn't, then I suggest you upgrade to that before trying to convert the drive to NTFS again.

newwebsite

newwebsite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
im going to try that now, got it reformatting at the moment so i can reinstall as fat32, but as above, i get the error far before it even tries to load windows so im not sure if a service pack will be any different. ive installed from this exact disc using NTFS before and its worked fine, however thhis time im using a SATA hard drive and im beginning to think it just isnt compatible with older windows boot managers when using NTFS, im going to try the service pack now but i very much doubt its going to do anything