Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing vista on a computer running Ubuntu, which previously ran XP

• Please log in to reply

Hornzog

Hornzog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell dimension 5000, which previously ran Windows XP, untill about a month ago where it died completely and i couldnt get past the windows splash screen without it bluescreening. I used a Ubuntu live CD to obtain all my files and back them up (most of) and eventually decided to go all the way and install it over windows XP as that was completely useless to me anyway.

Well after having many problems with that aswell, not being able to (or knowing how to) connect to the internet wirelessly etc. I decided that I'd try install Windows Vista over Ubuntu as i have a windows vista installation disc available.
note: I have completely lost my original windows XP installation disc for the computer in question so trying to reinstall that is out of the question for now, (careless i know). Therefore im going to use the Vista installation disc that came with this computer im using now to try and install vista onto the other computer. (is that possible?)

Ok so heres the problem; upon inserting the installation disc into the computer then rebooting, then pressing F12 for the boot menu (if i dont press anythign it acts as if theres ntohing in the drive and just laods up Ubuntu as normal) and finally selecting "Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive" (this worked for when installing Ubuntu)

Nothing happens after this, im presented with the message below saying: "Strike F1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility"

Then if i press F1: "Selected boot device not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"
Pressing F1 over and over returns with the same message.

Pressing F2 takes me to setup utility, the blue screen thing, in which i dont have the admin password for so i cant do anything in.

Any ideas on how to get Vista to install?

Also; the above error messages are presented whether or not the vista disc in in the drive or not, so its clearly not picking it up at all. Any reasons/solutions for this?

Thanks in advanced, sorry about the essay.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely the VIsta CD(DVD?) that came with your computer is really a recovery DVD and will not work on other computers. I have many H-P recovery disks that are like this. Many systems do not even have the vista system on the CD?DVD, but instead just has a small program that activates a hidden partition on the hard drive to reinstall the vista system.

You will probably need to find or buy a Vista retail DVD to be able to install Vista on the computer. You will not be able to register using your activation code from the other computer.

SRX660