Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autocheck not found, skipping autocheck

• Please log in to reply

omee00

omee00

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I recently screwed up my computer by running a crappy reg-edit program which deleted a bunch of important registry and I started to get messages asking me to insert XP SP3 CD to install the files but I didnt have one so I tried rebooting.
Upon rebooting I got a black screen saying "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted please reinstall ntoskrn.exe" In my panic state I used my XP recovery disks but they just installed another version of windows on my HD. So I used my XP install CD to get into the recovery console and I copied over the files from the CD to my HD. So I fixed the ntoskrn issue and tried booting into my orginal XP and at first everything seemed fined but right after the XP loading screen I get the blue screen "autochk.exe not found, skipping autocheck" and the system just re-boots. Ive tried everything, copying over the autochk.exe file, running chkdsk /r, nothing seems to work. Ive run out of options, can someone please help me??

Here are my system specs: Alienware laptop m5700, 80gid HD (RAID 0 configured, actually 2 40gig SATA drives configured to act as one), 1 gig RAM, Pentium M 2ghz.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have all your data backed up ...
I would wipe the drive/s and reinstall a clean fresh copy of windows...
just get any updated drivers you may need and burn them to a cd before doing it...