Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB drive "unreadable"

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi, I was copying some files onto my Kingston 512mb usb drive on on OSX but somehow it froze and didn't copy over. At the same time, I couldn't eject the drive so I just pulled the drive out (mistake on my part.. i know). Anyways, now the drive can't be read on OSX.

On my Window's xp partition, it shows up in My Computer but can't be read or formatted. When I open up Disk Management, the usb drive shows up as "Unreadable." Does anyone know how I can fix/format this. I have all my data backed up so I don't need to recover anything. Thanks!

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What filesystem is the external hard drive?
You may be able to run a chkdsk on the drive to repair the corrupted sectors, but only if the drive is NTFS or FAT32 (FAT won't chkdsk, i think.)

When you say it can't be read on OSX, will your Disk Utility see it?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
thanks for your reply.

The drive is FAT32. When I try a chkdsk, it says "Cannot open volume for direct access."

And on OSX, the disk utility does not see the drive as the drive doesn't even mount.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried formatting it from within a linux OS?

I wonder if DBAN would be able to nuke it for you.

Troy

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Now for what you do not want to hear.
Flash memory devices do NOT have an infinite read/write life.
Flash drives go bad.
You will lose all of your data on a flash drive when it fails, there is no resurection.
The drive may have stopped in the middle of copying because it failed. This would also explain why it does not show up, or work any more.
However, flash drives are not expensive.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
thanks for your replies.

I had tried formatting the usb drive using GParted on a live cd before. However, GParted did not even see the drive so I couldn't do anything. I haven't tried DBAN because I've read that there are some issues with it working on macbook pro (my current laptop).

If there's nothing else I can do, I'll probably just end up throwing this away and getting another drive.