Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freeze/Blank Screen/Unexpected Restart

• Please log in to reply

myth1985

myth1985

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, new to this forum, anyways I have been having some problems with my PC when playing almost any game after a certain ammount of time my PC will either give me a "no signal" blank screen on my TV and then freeze, or freeze then blank screen, a few seconds after either happens - my pc will restart itself.. I am wondering what the problem would be? would it be faulty hardware? my pc specs are as follows:

Pentium D 3.0GHz
ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard
Realtek AC'97 audio
HIS Radeon HD 3650 512MB AGP graphics
2GB Ram

Thanks for any replies, hopefully I posted this in the right section..

EDIT: I turned off the automatic restart on error option in windows XP, so now it just freezes / blank screen, with no restart. Any help would be appreciated...

EDIT#2: Also, in Device Manager, there is a ? next to "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

Edited by myth1985, 07 October 2008 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi myth1985, welcome. :)

First up you could try installing a driver for your High Definition Audio. You should be able to right-click on it, and select Update Driver. Letting Windows Update search online for a driver may find one here.

Let me know if that helps any, or if it doesn't work.

Troy

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your reply, Troy. I tried updating the driver, however all I get is "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you have installed.", oh and sorry, it wasnt a "?" next to it, it was a "!", when I click on properties it tells me this in device status: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Could this be the source of my freezes?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That sounds like it could be the problem, alright.

You could try uninstalling it from the Device Manager, and rebooting your computer, to see if that changes anything.

In the mean time, I'll see if I can find somebody who has experience with this error, as I've never dealt with it myself before.

Cheers

Troy

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I tried uninstalling it from device manager, rebooted, windows found new hardware upon reboot, rebooted again, the device still shows as the same problem. (could not find enough resources...etc)

I also tried disabling the device, but the freezes/blank screens still end up happening, whether it be after 5mins, or 5hrs.

I should also note this started happening when I upgraded my video card, as the High Definition audio is included with the video card I own, I run it through HDMI into my widescreen TV. I get no sound through the TV as I think I should be getting through the HDMI cable? could this be conflicting with my onboard audio? I get sound fine through the onboard audio. (Note: the freezes/blank screen persists even if I run it through VGA connected ot my TV instead of HDMI)

Here is a screenshot also: here

Edited by myth1985, 07 October 2008 - 10:08 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again, sorry for the delay.

Try navigating here and scroll down to where Code 12 is listed. Follow the information there, and see if that helps any.

Report back how that goes.

Troy

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try here for the audio driver

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Troy: I followed that information, however once in Troubleshooter I am a bit lost at "Configure one or more devices to use different resources."
I cant seem to find that device in the list when I Click on "View" then "Resources by type" as it says to do.

happyrock: I installed that driver, however the device is still the same, same resource problem. Also the name is still listed as the same, instead of "Realtek driver for HD Audio" or whatever, so im not sure if it did anything.

Here is another screenshot: here

Edited by myth1985, 26 October 2008 - 08:38 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you configured the BIOS to let the OS allocate resources?

The graphics card includes audio, so you should be turning the motherboard's onboard audio off.

Troy

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How do I configure the BIOS to allow the OS to allocate resources, I see no such setting?

How do I turn the onboard audio off? In the bios, I go into "onboard devices", the only thing relevent I see is something about MIDI, and its already disabled.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry, I should have specified further.

You'll probably find this under the "Advanced" section, you're looking for the IRQ settings.

Under the BIOS, you might also find the audio under the "Southbridge" section.

Troy

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I found where to disable the onboard audio, I went into advanced and seen "Plug and Play OS" which is already set to Yes if thats what you were referring to.
Also, just disabling the onboard audio hasnt seemed to fixed the problem, and I currently have no sound now.

Edited by myth1985, 27 October 2008 - 05:30 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Ok, I found where to disable the onboard audio, I went into advanced and seen "Plug and Play OS" which is already set to Yes if thats what you were referring to.

try setting it to no...then the bios will load the drivers and assign IRQ's instead of the OS...

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

did you try disabling anything and if so what happened...

myth1985

myth1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I set it to "No" however still the same problem.

The only thing I have tried disabling is the onboard audio, which is still currently disabled. Is there anything else I should disable?

Edited by myth1985, 27 October 2008 - 06:39 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to the device manager and click the + beside sound, video, and game controllers..post a screenshot...
list everything thats connected to the computer...printers ...usb devices and such...