Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive about to die, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply

cheesoid

cheesoid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys

I'm PC illiterate and have a question which is probably dumb but here goes:

My hard drive has been showing signs of old age (extreme slowness, funny noises, bad sectors etc) and I'm wondering what to do. I don't have much money at the moment - is fitting a new hard drive a DIY job? (The only thing I've ever done to my PC is fit new memory and I found it really nerve racking and quite hard :) )

Also:

1. Is it possible to buy an external hard drive and copy everything from my PC onto it and use that as the only hard drive?

2. I don't even know what kind of hard drive I have, how do I find out?

3. I don't have Windows CD's. All the software on my machine came on recovery disks from HP which now don't work since my motherboard was changed a couple of years ago. Can I just drag and drop everything inc. Windows off my old Hard drive?

Told you I was illiterate!

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) No. External drives are designed for data storage only, not running operating systems.
2) Take the side of the case off, the drive will have a brand, model number and size printed on its label.
3) No. Data and your personal stuff yes, Windows and programs, no.

You'll need to borrow an XP CD and purchase a new hard drive, reinstall Windows, download all the drivers from the people who made the board and the stuff you've got connected and install them all, then patch through Windows Update. Takes about half a day. Hard drives are easy to fit, its the putting on and patching Windows that takes the time.

cheesoid

cheesoid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply :).

Not what I wanted to hear, but I suspected as much. Luckily I asked before buying one instead of after!

I think I'd have to buy a new Windows. I don't know anybody who's got a CD. I'll probably be better off looking out for a 2nd hand PC on flea-bay.

Thanks again.