Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First System Build (advise please)

• Please log in to reply

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi I have produced a specification for the complete system that I am in the process of building, I am basically in the process of purchasing a new part each week until the build is complete, any advise would be appreciated

Is there anything I have not already done that you would change at similar cost?
Are there any incompatibility problems within this spec you know of?

Thanks for your Help

Posted Image

Attached Files

• Attached File  myPC.bmp   181.6KB   249 downloads

Edited by KillerShark1978, 07 October 2008 - 07:38 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
£15 for a Floppy Disk Drive? Are you serious? If its a unit with a built-in card reader, forget it as you can probably get a separate floppy and card reader for cheaper.

SATA DVD Writers may be cheaper.

Your price for XP Pro look far too low for what it is. Are you sure these prices include VAT @ 17.5%?

The Raptor is probably not worth it on the cost alone. You'd do far better to get a standard SATA hard drive, have a 500Gb for under £50.

Personally I wouldn't really spend £120 on a keyboard, even if it is as nice as that one.

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The floppy drive does have a built in card reader, for the sake of saving just a few pounds I would much sooner save the space in my system by having them together using 1 tidy 3.5” slot, or not having to use an external USB card reader.

There are only 4 SATA ports on the board thus opting to use IDE for the DVD-RW drives, one of the 4 ports is been used by an external SATA connection port on top of the case, which leave room for 3 hard drives, the reason I have opted for the 3 different types of drive in the system, is to firstly use the Raptor to install the OS and all other software such as games etc, then use the 1TB hard drive to store all media files, such as my music collection and videos, then finally the last 300GB Hard drive will purely be used as a download target when downloading files from the internet, the theroy been I will be able to download without suffering performance issues relating to use of the other 2 hard drives while in the process of downloading and also if I download a bad file that messes up the drive I will simply be able to format the etra drive without effecting all my files and software.

The keyboard cost is not really an issue since it will be in my living room, I would sooner pay a little extra and have a good looking keyboard, plus it not essential for me to buy a keyboard straight away since I can always use the keyboard I already have on a temporary basis once the system is up and running until I have the spare cash to upgrade the keyboard.

As for XP pro see link here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

Cheapest I have seen it for, except I am starting to lean more towards going for Vista Ultimate OEM edition which I can pick up for around £120 anyway the more I think about it, although I am not really a vista fan, im hoping the system should handle Vista without any performance issues, plus it would allow me to further upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 8GB should need be in the future, plus the use of DirectX 10 for gaming and been all round more future proof because I do want this build to last me a very long time once complete and fully upgraded.

Edited by KillerShark1978, 08 October 2008 - 09:47 AM.