Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I edit the guest account on my computer?

• Please log in to reply

dontforget

dontforget

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a computer where I am the administrator and some other people use it frequently on the guest account. My question is how can I change some of the permissions on the guest account such as restricting them from using p2p programs or installing/uninstalling new software. I have windows xp

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I am unsure of if you can edit the guest account so. Especially for p2p apps.

My recommendation to you is to create a second user account and to download a free parental control program called pgsurf. It allows you to create a user for the given person using the machine... well just check this out...

http://www.paretolog...rfer/index.aspx

I set that up on my youngest brothers machine a while back for my family. It is pretty easy to understand. If you want to allow all websites but just no p2p it has that feature, as well as no im etc...

dontforget

dontforget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well the guest account does a great job in limiting what a person can do. It prevents any application from being installed or even being deleted. I'd rather not run the risk of these things being enabled. Thanks for quick reply though :)

Edited by dontforget, 07 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
The only other idea I have is to make an account with very limited access by changing the policies/set program access and defaults/ turning on the windows firewall and having it block p2p.

I am unsure how much you can actually modify the guest account itself because it already has set options. Perhaps they can be changed via the gp settings.

dontforget

dontforget

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That seems like a good idea. How do I get into the policy/access menu and is it possible to view the policies of the guest account so I can model a new account after them.