Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build questions

• Please log in to reply

nismojunkie

nismojunkie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am building a computer and have a couple questions. It has an ASUS P5Q pro mobo, 8800GT VGA, INTEL 3.0 ghz cpu, and 2G ram in an Antec 900 case and an Antec NeoPower 650 blue.

I am able to boot into BIOS, is there anything that I really need to change? Im having a hard time understandign everything that is going on with it.

Since I am able to boot into BIOS, does that mean everything is good? I have been unable to get any beeps out of my speakers, so im not sure on this either.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
By being able to boot into the BIOS the computer is telling you that the motherboard is running and the hardware attached has passed the POST( power on self test)( means everything is good). Some motherboards do NOT have system speakers so you will not get any sounds. Download the motherboard information from the ASUS website( or on your Drivers CD) and read up on the motherboard.

Now you need to find the boot order in the BIOS, so you can set the boot order to boot from the cdrom drive first. To do this you will use the arrow keys to navigate up and down and across any lists you have there. You will be looking for the advanced setting and specifically the boot order or sequence. Once you find where it says the boot order, use the arrow keys to move to it( blue highlighted) then hit the enter key. A window will popup showing the boot order. The first one probably says Hard Drive(HD), then cdrom, then other. If Hard drive is highlighted in blue hit the enter key and use the arrow keys to set the first boot device to the cdrom drive. The Esc key will get you out of each window.

While you are changing the boot order you should noe open your cdrom drive door( DVD?) and insert your Windows CD(DVD) in the drive and close the door. Usually hitting the F10 key will save your setting and restart the computer. DO save the setting annd let the computer restart and upon rebooting the computer should start reading the Windows CD and start installing Windows on the computer.

SRX660