Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ive lost my help and support

• Please log in to reply

udrtrat

udrtrat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
help and support is gone. totally mr gates mob says it corrupted. have to reformat from the info ive given them. no place on google has been of use. ive typed my fingers raw entering commands and all to no avail. after all the typing it says enter or type ok and restart and all will be well. but it isnt its f......n gone. i have no cds at all. so now what. can this be fixed without hiring a pro? is there a way that a relative newbie can do this. im far from outside help where i live :)

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I'd need a bit more info before being able to help. Are you attempting to reinstall windows to your computer? Is there a missing application on windows you want back? Please be more specific.

udrtrat

udrtrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when i click on help and supporti get a message says windows cannot open help and support because a system service is not running. to fix this problem start the service called help and support. ive tried to do this a jillion differnt ways now to no avail. no cure seems to work. microsoft says its probably corrupted. i also found an error message while trying to open it that was error 1083 each cure i try says click ok and restart and its good but it isnt. nothing is doing it. i do not have the xp disks. it wasnt included with this pc and the seller is too far away to just drop in on. so.......do i just live without help and support? bugga

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I will research the issue. For now if you have not already tried it go ahead and click START > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > look for the help and support service. When you find it, double click it to open it. Make sure the "Startup Type" is set to automatic. Make sure the "Service status" is started.

If the above doesn't work or you've already tried it, post back and let me know.

udrtrat

udrtrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it didnt open quite like u said but i got in and when i tried to start got a error 1079 story of my life for nearly 4 days all up now. it just wont start. it did say administrator at the last list there where the rest said something else. well im going to bed its almost a11 forty pm and im worn out. if you get any bright ideas ill read them in the am. thanx for your time tonite/ and have a good day there. long time since ive been in marietta. looooooong time. lol Paul

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No problem. Get some sleep.

Try this next.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

(I think the 2 below are essentially the same as the first but give them a shot nonetheless if the first does not work)

Then this
http://windowsxp.mvp...artmenuhelp.htm

Then maybe this
http://www.softwaret...es-not-run.html

udrtrat

udrtrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry mate, but....none of them worked. actually ive tried all of them already but just redid and same thing. i do believe im gonna have to live with this till i can afford a new xpdisk or whatever. ill save and have the local tech in and see what happens. thanks so much for all your time and trouble expended. this aussie bloke appreciates your efforts. regards, Paul