Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor troubles...

• Please log in to reply

NovaWorld

NovaWorld

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
I'm scared. I think my monitor is almost br0ke.

I've got my monitor connected to my main windows PC and a linux server I use for transfering files and shtuff from school... I do not think the KVM switch is the problem though. Every time I start up a computer, the monitor keeps on turning on and off repeatedly, indefinitely. If I repeatedly reconnect the VGA cord from the back of my cmoputer it'll eventually get to the monitor, and then I'm good until I shut down again. Today, though, I had both computers off and turned the monitor on and it kept turning on and off even though there was no signal - I even unplugged the cord from the back of the monitor, and it kept on going. So yeah, is it basically dead...? It's a 17" LCD made by Fuji, lemme know if you need more info.

Thanks... :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
when you say turning on and off do you mean the power light goes on and off or the screen is turning on and off?

NovaWorld

NovaWorld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
The power light goes on and off, with no image on the screen, and I can hear that very high pitch monitor/tv sound that is difficult to hear every time it comes on.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I suspect that the monitor is gone.
To verify it is not the KVM switch, can you go directly to the computer?
Can you try the monitor on another computer?

NovaWorld

NovaWorld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I'm actually going to be moving the system to an adjacent room today... I'll try it without the switch for a few days and see what happens. I actually turned the computer on this morning and everything worked, so...we'll see. I'll post back in a few days.

NovaWorld

NovaWorld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yeah... it's definitely the monitor, not KVM switch.

Given this, is the monitor definitely unfixable? These things are expensive. It's been about 3-4 years since I got it...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well does it have a power pack or does it plug directly into power? IF it has a power pack then you may be able to replace that.... short of that it would probably be difficult ( or cost prohibitive ) to fix....