Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not much available free space.

• Please log in to reply

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
After defrag and CCleaner it says only 14% on c, but 99% on D.

I was told to post this on this forum to see if anyone could help me figure out how to analyze my RAM, how my system is being used, etc and what I can do to increase my free space. So, here is is!!

I keep having problems with error messages saying there isnot enough memory to run some programs. I have run the defrag, disk cleaner, CCleaner, and deleted some files, but nothing seems to help. Any help would be appreciated.

End of file - 7780 bytes
:)Attached File  hjt.txt   8.66KB   169 downloads

Edited by sari, 13 October 2008 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Install more RAM

If you have more than one partition you could resize the partitions with 3rd party software,

You could also change the default location of my documents to a second partition, on the desktop you should have a folder which says My documents, right click then left click on properties, change the C to a D, this will move the folder to D and leave a shortcut on the desktop to the folder, only do so if you have a second partition D.

Which is not a recovery partition only, usually these are hidden but not always.

When installing new programs you don’t have to install them to C all the time, you can install to a different partition.

Uninstall any unused or unwanted programs

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
OK, blatantly showing my ignorance - what is a second partition and how do I find out if there is one? How do I install more RAM? I think I need step by step instructions!! :)

Thanks

:)

Edited by irish_eyes, 12 October 2008 - 03:24 PM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Start
settings
Control panel
Administrative tools
Computer management
Disk management

This will tell you the drives and partitions you have

For the ram you need to know the FSB of the CPU
And the type of slots on the motherboard, go to the manufacture of the motherboard or company of the computer to get the manual, you might have a system disk with the manual on it. There are some free programs which tell you what hardware you have in the computer.

Example:
If your CPU is 166/333 then you will need DDR-PC2700

Types of Ram modules

SDRAM
DDR
DDR2
DDR3