Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashed?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Ok I’m working on helping my friend fix her HP Compaq nc 8430 (intel centrino Duo, Windows XP) laptop. I cant figure out whats wrong with her computer.
First she said she couldn’t open her “My Documents” folder at all. Then when she would try to turn her computer on the black screen that says “HP Invent” comes up but then another black screen that says “Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready” comes up. Then the computer doesn’t allow me to do anything at all.
Ive tried rebooting in safe mode & it wont allow me to do that.
I did notice she had Myfreeze.com on her laptop & when I tried uninstalling myfreeze.com I couldnt do it.
Ive even tried using the Windows XP disk & I cant even get it to load.
HELP! What can I do?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you set your CD drive to be first boot device in the BIOS? If not, please do that and boot with the XP CD in place. Press any key when asked to do so to start XP installation.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation, type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a password. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type chkdsk /r (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end. When finished type Exit to boot to windows. Please report the results.