Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hangs quite often

• Please log in to reply

AVINASHDAWAR

AVINASHDAWAR

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am using windows 98SE. If I use any antivirus system, the computer becomes exceedingly slow. So I am not using any antivirus. However, I often scan it using VG7.5. This time even this has not helped. Not only it has become slow, but It hangs quite often. And the problem it indicates that th explorer not responding. Hope some help would be forthcoming.

Avinash Dawar

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
How often do you run any maintenance tasks? I would check the drive's fragmentation, (if it reports fragmentation above 12%, Windows98 will get slow). Be sure that any windows screen saver is turned off before running disk defragmenter, or it will not be able to finish. Older systems that I have worked on also needed to be in Safe Mode sometimes. Scandisk from the dos prompt is also something you can try. Type "scandisk /autofix /nosave /surface" at the dos prompt for a scandisk with a full surface scan. I would also remove temp files from the system. Hope this helps..

cyclic

cyclic

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Whilst I don't want to come across as heavy handed, you really shouldn't be on the internet without anti virus software running, as well as protecting you it is also protecting others to whom you may be passing malware without realising it.
If you PC is slow running due to AV software, there are always things you can do to improve performance.
edited to remove malware advice

Also download, install and update Spybot search and destoy This has the added advantage of being able to innoculate you machine against known malware and trojans.

Finally download at least a basic AV scanner and run it always. You may find that if you complete the first 2 parts of my suggestion your PC wont tend to be slowing down as much as it did.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
cyclic,

Please do not tell people that they have malware and direct them to run a scanner such as Malwarebytes. Malware removal advice can only be given in the malware forum, and only by trained staff members. If you think someone may have malware, you can direct them to that forum.

cyclic

cyclic

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
That's not editing it's childish censorship, get your head out of the playground and behave like adults.

I will go to places where people are human beings and not [bleep] bent on power trips.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's not a power trip, it's for the safety of our members. Malware removal is difficult, and becoming more so every day. The people that are allowed to help here have been through months of training, and they're not allowed to help real people until they've been through a number of practice exercises. This is from the TOU that you agreed to when you joined:

Because of the potential for harm, only staff members approved for malware removal are allowed to reply to malware topics.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Ok, let's all cool off a bit! Avinashdawar says his system is freezing quite often. Let's not assume its a virus and start with BASICS! Most common reason for a freeze would be a hard drive fault or error that maybe easily fixed by scandisk, (no?) I've seen Win98 systems that are over 17% fragmented which will freeze as well. In Win98 blue screens are memory, freezes are hard drive, viruses usually don't cause freezes, unless it was sasser, BUT Avinashdawar has BEEN scanning!!!
Cyclic, move out of your parents house and get into the real world. If you can't live with the guidelines set down by those who set up this site, well..maybe you're not a geek...
Sorry..