Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP 100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
My computer ran fine this morning....
As I do not have the SP2 installed I downloaded Firefox as a browser as I thought it might offer a bit more protection than internet explorer.
I'm not sure if that is my problem as I'm not that computer literate. Over the next hour or so I found the computer extremely slow and it said it was running at 100% usage. At that time I decided to reboot.
The computer did a disc check, found some abnormalties in Prefetch and 'fixed' them.
Since then, I cannot access any programs other than McAfee VirusScan 8 which found no virus's....took over an hour to scan.
I can't access the internet or anything else other than a couple of document shorcuts I have on my desktop.(..and McAfee VirusScan)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Carol

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Unfortunately the computer will not let me access anything including the internet...I am using another computer to access this site. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you say you cannot access any programs....what happens when you do try?

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
when i try to access anything, the computer just sits there with the little hourglass symbol and nothing happens.....
I hardbooted and there were a couple of notations
WINDOWS/PREFETCH MCCONSOL.ECE-0774EF03.pf crosslinked on allocation unit 353
WINDOWS/PREFETCH DFRGFAT.EXE-03D95883.pf crosslinked on allocation unit 12

Have no idea what it means.
It then says it has made corrections to the file, directory, etc. but nothing changes in the performance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you hit ctrl-alt-del, and if so, look in taskmanager, processes tab....what process is using the most procesisng time?

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi
The process is gcasDtServ.exe at 99

I went into system configuration and unchecked a few startup items and it is now running between 0 and 5% when I start up.

Would it help if I unchecked that one too?

Thanks
Carol

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
gcasDtServ.exe is part of MS ANTISPY. I have run into this problem several times now... (it is beta software after all).

In each case, uninstalling it, then reinstalling it has fixed the problem. The issue seems to arise after a windowsupdate overwrites a used, but non critical file used by Antispy...I think. Am still trying to isolate it.

so try that. (uninstall/reinstall)

caroldufrat

caroldufrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for all the input!!!
I'll definitely give that a try..
Have a great day!