Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Accounts Manager Initialization failed

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Yes please. I think the repair might do it. I'll ask -another- techy for a third opinion. Though I think that after a repair there is not much more we can do.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 18 October 2008 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Olrik,

I finally got the opportunity to try a repair from the Windows CD that came with the computer from Dell. I received several errors during the repair process (see below), but the process completed anyway. Here are the errors:

1) COM+ Setup Error
Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message.
d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)
Error Code = 0x8007007f
The specified procedure could not be found.
Failed to load the library C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll’.

2) Setup cannot copy the file icwconn1.ex_.
Ensure that the disk labeled ‘Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM’ is in the drive selected below, or provide the location where the file can be found.

3) The same error as in #2 occurred for several files. They were: icwconn2.ex_, inetwiz.ex_, isignup.ex_, icwtutor.ex_, icwhelp.dl_, icwconn.dl_, icwutil.dl_, icwres.dl_, icwrmind.ex_, trialoc.dl_, icwdl.dl_, icwx25a.du_, icwx25b.du_, icwx25c.du_, icwip.du_, phone.ic_, phone.ve_, state.ic_, msicw.is_, msn.is_, support.ic_, msobshel.ht_, oobeinfo.in_, oemlogo.gi_, mouse.ht_, isp.ht_, oempriv.ht_

After Windows finished the repair, it went through a few setup screens and asked me to setup user names. I setup 3 user names, but when I got to the login screen, only 1 of those names appeared. I was able to login using that name. All of my data is still on the machine, but my previous user accounts do not show up. Is there any way to recover those?

Now, it appears that Windows has reverted back to the basic XP version, so I need to install updates to get me back to SP2. Also, when I tried to start Internet Explorer, I received the following error:

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

Any ideas on this one?

Any advice on getting XP back to SP2?

Thanks for the all the help so far.

Shawn

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hmm, I think a parallel installation will be needed.

A parallel installation is basically installing a second windows on the same hard drive. When doing this you can think of it as re-installing windows without formatting the hard drive first. Once you're done doing a parallel you will have to completely update the new installation. After updating it (and installing drivers of course) you will have to re-install your programs as well. The good thing is that you can still get to your important documents. To access these you will have to take ownership of the files though but this is explained below.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Then once you got the windows installed, read the following Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
After you have gotten your files over to your new installation we'll continue cleaning up the older installation that went 'kapoof'.

Regards,
Olrik

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Olrik,

I only have 1 partition on my hard drive. Will performing the parallel installation cause me to lose the data on the drive?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
No, if you don't Format you won't loose any data on the hard drive.

Regards,
Olrik

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Olrik,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. I've been out of town for a while. I will try installing Windows to a new directory tonight. I'll update you on how it goes and any issues that come up. Thanks!

Shawn

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I've installed Windows to another directory. Didn't have any problems with the installation. I have taken over ownership of most of the folders. Some of the more important data I had already moved to an external hard drive. I have not copied that data back yet. I still need to install a few programs. I assume the next step will be to update Windows XP? Right now the installation is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, with no service packs. Also, how is the best way to delete programs from the old Windows installation in order to free up hard drive space?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello slreagan,

No worries :) Everybody goes out of town some day :)

Please update windows XP as soon as possible. At the moment your PC would be vulnerable to a lot of security holes that are not fixed in that version of windows. After you update windows XP, the next step to do would be to install a good Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall. In this thread you can read about the different AV (Anti-Virus) and AS (Anti-Spyware). As a firewall I recommend Comodo which can be found here

Also, BEFORE you start installing programs, please make sure the old 'junk' is gone. Because you did a parallel install the installations of the old programs no longer work. I would recommend to go through the "Program Files" folder and simply remove the folder by selecting it and pressing SHIFT + DEL. Be careful with that key combination though, Once something gets removed that way it won't show up in the recycle bin.

After all that is done, (Installing Service Packs, AV, AS, Firewall, Removing Old Programs, Installing New Programs.) then you can remove the old windows folder which should be called "WINDOWS" and your new one -should- be called "WINDOWS0".

Regards,
Olrik

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Olrik,

I've completed the parallel installation, re-installed AV/AS/Firewall, deleted the old programs using shift delete, and have re-installed most programs. I was trying to delete the old Windows folder, but I keep getting the following message:

"The file 'Flash9b.ocx' is a read-only file. Are you sure you want to delete it?"

When I click on the "Yes" button, I get the message:

"Cannot delete Flash9b: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

When I click OK, the delete process stops. This file is in the following folder: Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\. That folder contains 2 files - Flash9b.ocx and FlashUtil9b. Suggestions?

Is there anything else I need to do to clean up the system? Everything seems to working great right now. Thanks for all the help!

Shawn

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Try booting to safe mode and then removing the file.
That file is needed for Macromedia Flash.
Make sure that you install flash on your new installation.

A good guide to follow to keep your system clean can be found here.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I rebooted into Safe Mode, but still got the same messages when I tried to delete those files. Those are the only files left in the old Windows directory.

One other thing - When I boot up the computer, it asks me to choose between 2 installations of Windows XP. It's not a problem to pick the correct one, but is there a way to keep the old one from showing up?

Shawn

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hmm.. About those files..
Try the following guide:
http://www.geekstogo...TE-t102531.html

And about the picking of windows systems. We can fix that :)
Let's look at the boot.ini file.
  • Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties".
  • In the Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button.
  • In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini)
  • copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Regards,
Olrik

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is the copy/paste from the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I'll try the suggestions in the other post for getting rid of those files.

Shawn

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello again,

Ok, so lets repair it.
  • Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties".
  • In the Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button.
  • In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini)
  • copy the contents of the quotebox below and replace the old information in boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

That should take care of the 2 windows options when booting windows.

Regards,
Olrik

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks, Olrik! I'm back up and running at full speed now. Everything has been re-installed that is needed. I guess one benefit of this is that a lot of old programs that were no longer needed have been deleted.

Thanks again!

Shawn