Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Change Screen From 640x480 Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

skittlzski

skittlzski

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I thought I posted this yesterday, but I guess it did not post due to the board being offline this morning. Anyway...

My sister-in-law's computer had the blue screen of death. She couldn't find her disks to reinstall windows xp, so I brought mine over and reinstalled it for her.

It reinstalled, but there are no icons except the recycle bin and the screen resolution is stuck on 640x480. It cannot be changed in the display properties. The slider stays where it is and cannot be moved from 640x480 with 32 bit color.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
You'll have to install the Device Drivers particularly for the machine's graphic adapter.
You can get the original Device Drivers from the computer manufacturer's website.
You can get any specific updated graphic adapter (if it was added in as a PCI/AGP/PCIe card, from the Card manufacturer's website.

You may find additional devices not functional (maybe audio) until you install all the device drivers.

Best Regards