Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Installation, Curruption, and Failure of Windows Updates and 3rd Party

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
< Windows XP Pro x64 >

Does anyone know how I can refresh/restore Windows Installer, or even know if this may be possibly the issue?

I am having problems installing most any application; windows or 3rd party.

EventViewer is showing MsiInstaller errors for most any application I install. I made a copy Office 2007 from CD to my Hard Drive because it was having trouble installing, usually throwing errors it could not find a particular file. After migrating from CD to hard drive, I kicked off the install, again could not find files, so I pointed to the CD drive and between the two I was finally able to load the software.

So far I have had trouble with the following

Adobe CS3 Master collection <-- partially installed
Windows Updates <-- down to the last few
Office 2007 <-- finally installed and updated
VMware workstation <-- finds corruption in two different installers (CD and a freshly downloaded one from Internet)

Keep in mind this is a Brand New Hard Drive purchased after the other fairly new Hard Drive was possibly acting up. I honestly do not know if I have a hardware issue or a software issue as the problem seems to be so intermittent.
Just installed the OS two days ago, and finally today, decided to start loading my applications to see if I could figure out what was going on with the system. Generally I install the OS, get all the latest MS updates, and then proceed to install my applications, one at a time, working any errors out of the EventViewer that I can. Right now this issue has gone far above me and I honestly don’t know where to turn or what type of information to gather on such an issue.

Edited by jjsmith, 11 October 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Advertisements

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
try updating your windows installer

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
A couple things you can do.

Uninstall the windows installer from the add/ remove program group.
You can let windows refind the update or download it.
You can run the windows installer cleanup utility on the programs you are having problems with.

WINDOWS INSTALLER
WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
I was unable to find the Windows Installer within the Add/Remove Programs. I already have Windows Installer Cleanup installed, but the programs I am having trouble with are not installed.

Keep in mind this is a 64 bit OS

Current List of Programs that I cannot Install:

VMware Workstation - Install finds currupt Tools.cab file
Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection
Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB938464) Windows Update Site returns error 0xD0000005

Programs that installed, but with trouble:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Programs that installed just fine:
Avast
Volumouse
Winamp
UltraMon
PeerGuardian
uTorrent
Mozilla Firefox

Windows Updates That will not install
Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB938464) Windows Update Site returns error 0xD0000005

All the Office updates installed great. I have installed all windows updates aside the above item.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what does the Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB938464), VMware, and Adobe Creative Suite have in common that is keeping me from this install.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Seems that there is a update to the installer to allow it to work on 64 bit.

http://support.micro....com/kb/898715/

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Well, I believe something else is going on. The system no longer boots and seems to be having trouble talking with my hardware....

When attempting to boot to windows I get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

This same error came about, and is the reason I re-installed the OS in the first place. I think its time I move this post the the hardware side of the forum as I am beginning to think its not an OS problem anymore.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
The most common answer is a corrupt boot.ini file

You need to repair it by using the recovery console on the XP cd.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;330184
http://www.computerh...es/ch000490.htm
http://www.computerh...es/ch000492.htm

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
That error was the part of the reason for the fresh install of the OS, this is the second time I have received this error on a completely seperate hard drive as well. Rebuilding boot.ini did not help the situation, and when you try to do a repair install of the OS, it cannot find the OS anymore.

I have migrated this issue into the hardware forum as I think this may be hardware related.

http://www.geekstogo...pt-t214361.html

* currently working from a LiveDVD of Knoppix

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
looks like u have some trojan or virus in your system. Do Post ur logs and wait for the moderators to comment. Try downloading the security update manually and try again. If u plan to reinstall again, then Install Windows. Immediately after installing, run automatic updates. dont install any anti virus or any MS OFFICE or anyother software before u run automatic updates

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*

looks like u have some trojan or virus in your system. Do Post ur logs and wait for the moderators to comment. Try downloading the security update manually and try again. If u plan to reinstall again, then Install Windows. Immediately after installing, run automatic updates. dont install any anti virus or any MS OFFICE or any other software before u run automatic updates

My apologies Philip, but this is most definitely not a trojan or virus on my system. This is a fresh install of XP Pro 64 bit, the system is not used for email, nor is it used to surf the web. The system is purely used for Virtual Machines, editing graphics, writing papers, and processing. I have gone the past two years with no more than a tracking cookie on any of my systems; especially this particular system I am currently having trouble with. I am honestly to believe I am having hardware issues.

Just to assist in your troubleshooting process, I installed windows xp 64 bit and went straight to installing windows updates manually.