Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to Internet / Security Certificate expired error

• Please log in to reply

Sweet_Pup

Sweet_Pup

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a semi-wireless (apparently) connection with a receiver on my terrace from which a cable is sourced to my Laptop.
My ISP authenticates users through a "web dialer" wherein once connection to their Login web page is established, I can login using my credentials and then continue to access the internet..

Now for the past two weeks I've been unable to access even this login page; I assumed it was a problem with my ISP and harangued with them as long as I could, till I found that my neighbor (who also has his receiver on the terrace) had minimal problems in connecting via the same ISP.

Now coming to the Browser specific issues, Today I was just playing around with the 'Security' and 'Content' options of IE7 and I reset all settings to default values.. Soon after, I was able to connect to the login page successfully, albeit with a security certificate error and after ignoring the warning I'm able to connect to the Login page.

In specific , whenever I try to reach my Login page now (through which my ISP provides internet access), I get the following error:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended). "

Or dig Mozilla's version:

The certificate expired on 10/12/2008 5:29 AM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

Of course, I am able to connect to internet by simply choosing to proceed, but interestingly the same error shows up in Mozilla 3.03 also now (I didn't change or import IE settings into Mozilla).

Note: My System Time & Date fields are normal, no changes there.. I looked up a few forums and saw that this was the most common fix.

My questions:
Given this backdrop, I would like to know
1) whether my problems in connecting to my ISP's Login page could in fact have been linked with my Browser security settings.
2) Also, why does the certificate error show up in both IE and Mozilla, ostensibly I've changed my IE 7 settings alone...?
3) Finally, the LAN connection symbol on my Taskbar is erratic and keeps fluctuating between the "Network found" and "Connecting to network" modes. Is this purely dependent on my ISP or could my computer network or control panel settings affect this in any manner??

Thanks a lot for your support and for bearing with my elaborate post :)

P.S: And my OS is Vista ....

Edited by Sweet_Pup, 12 October 2008 - 06:22 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can add the page to your trusted sites list in IE. This should get around this issue. Ultimately, its up to your ISP to renew the certificate.