Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install my HP LaserJet 1020 printer

• Please log in to reply

fac33

fac33

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi, I've never had a problem with my HP Laserjet 1020 printer but somehow it no longer is listed as an available printer on my PC. The printer stopped being recognized by my PC. Sorry, I'm not aware of anything leading up to this strange occurrence; Never encountered anything like this. Therefore, I used the HP factory installation disc and went through the installation process. However, I still can't install the printer and receive the following error message:

"Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware (HP Laserjet 1020). An error occurred during the installation of the device: The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because th INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor. Click Finish to close the wizard."

I'm using Windows XP Professional, SP2. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
This is what I would do. I would open up add and remove programs, search for your printer software there. If it is there i would delete it. After deleting it I would try the disk again. If the disk still don't work then it is corrupted and you need to look on Google or HP website and usually you can download the devices directly from there. After you remove the device from Add and remove programs ensure you restart your computer before trying to download the new software.

Also you might want to go into Device Manager

Start
Control Panel

Left side bar says switch to classic view (if it is already in classic it will say switch to category view)

Go to System
Hardware tab at the top
Device Manager

Scroll through to find your printer. When found printer double click on it

New window will appear. Go to drivers tab and then click update drivers.

fac33

fac33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I did delete the existing drivers and tried installing drivers from the original HP cd but received the same error as before. I then downloaded the drivers from HP but the installation failed also (Error message:"Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware (HP Laserjet 1020). An error occurred during the installation of the device: The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because th INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor. Click Finish to close the wizard.")

To verify that printer was not faulty, I successfully installed it on a different PC using the HP CD.

Is it a possibility that my PC (Dell Intel P3) doesn't have some necessary Windows software (ie, Windows Downloader)? Thanks.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Go to HP site

http://h10025.www1.h...;product=439320

Issue
An error, " the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the inf file was written for Windows 95 or later. " displays on the computer during the installation of the printer software. The error seems to occur on Windows XP and Windows 2000 systems

Solution
The cause of this error is not well understood at this time and is still under investigation. One possible solution is listed below

Cause
This error occurs when the USB Printing Support driver for Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition is installed from the HP Color LaserJet 2600n install CD instead of using the USB Printing Support driver that already exists in Microsoft Windows. The Microsoft Windows 98 USB Printing Support driver is not compatible with later versions of Windows. In some rare cases the USB Printing Support driver (usbprint.inf) may not exist on the operating system and must be added. This is typically located at c:\windows\inf

Qork

Qork

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem. I tried going into the registry as Microsoft suggests and removing all but the default printer items. This meant I had to reinstall all of my other printer devices (including AdobePDF). I was able to install my HP DeskJet 845C USB printer and reinstalled Adobe. However, every time I try to install the Laserjet 1020 USB printer I get the message from the Windows hardware installer that says there was an error and it can't install the printer.

I have uninstalled the 1020 software and reinstalled the large version and the small version from the HP web site. No dice. I also tried installing from my original HP CD. Nothing. I tried different USB ports. Still doesn't work. I deleted the item in the device manager for the 1020 (under Universal Serial Bus, Rebooted and still could not successfully re-install. I also ran Windows System File Checker (SFC.EXE) with zero results. You name it, I've tried it. Nothing works.

The LaserJet 1020 does work because I successfully installed it on an Lenovo Think Pad. Worked fine. The USB stuff in Windows seems to be ok because I was able to successfully install my DeskJet 845C USB printer. Please also note that both printers were working fine on my PC until something weird happened when I tried to print a PDF file on the 1020. I had printed many PDF file ion it before. But this time it froze and locked up the software.

Anybody have a solution that I haven't tried before? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Qork

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 April 2009 - 06:45 PM.

vilma crazy

vilma crazy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, I worked hp laserjet 1020 driver and software install. no problem