Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service all stopped

• Please log in to reply

inthetrenches

inthetrenches

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I have been working on this HP laptop and have gotten to a point that I need to call in some help. The main problem is the services, I can not start any of them and now all have stopped except the ones that keep the laptop up (winlogon, explorer - no desktop-, csrss, ect.). I'm now sitting on a black desktop and can not get anything to come up. I running vista premium on a HP pavilion DV6000.

I can't run a virus scan because it is crippled. I can get into the service to try and start them but it acts as if it didn't do anything, the progress bar comes up, runs and goes away without starting the service. This is on any service I try and start. The internet will not connect either. Also when I try to run anti virus, web browsers (firefox) it starts to load and stops.

Will boot in safe mode! I have provided a hi jack log if you would like to look at it.

If anyone has ran into this problem any help is appreciated. This acts like a form of a virus, limewire is installed but haven't found the connection yet but felt it is the source of it. I haven't removed it yet. Just wanted you to know I am aware of the P2P that is installed on the laptop. Will take care of these problems when I figure out the main source of this issue.

thanks

Attached Files

Edited by inthetrenches, 13 October 2008 - 12:55 AM.

Advertisements

inthetrenches

inthetrenches

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If you had anything close to this please let me know. I am taking any diagnostic recommendations so if you might have seen this behavior or know someone that's come across this please post it. I'm not wanting to reformat but I can if I have to, just want to beat this one and not let it beat me.

Thanks

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You have malware located here:
C:\Users\Travis\AppData\Local\Temp\XRMNBLJZGT.exe
I'm sure there is more......

If it was my machine, I'd try a repair start-up first. If that didn't work, then reformat and clean install would be my next option.

inthetrenches

inthetrenches

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have already taken some of the malware out, XRMNBLJZGT.exe (file is missing). I cleaned up the start up but don't seem to notice any more threats in there. I will do a format but I would like to see if I/we could clean it up before resorting in this. The laptop is not needed right now so mainly we can call this research. We can diagnose the problem and see if we could fix it because I haven't ran into this kind of threat before. Getting knowledge of why its performing like this is my main concern. If the laptop crashes because of researching the problem then we tried.

I came here because I have used this site because of the reponse thats on here and the high knowledge in diagnosing problems. If anyone wants to jump on and see if we can figure this out together then maybe we will learn together what going on.

Jacee; I have cleaned up the start ups, and taken out the links inside the reg. Is there anything else that can be seen in the hi jack log that could be whats causing the problem?

Thanks for the response. If anyone has a suggetion i'm all ears. :)

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Post a fresh HJT log here ---> http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html