Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM and cpu questions

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I’m shopping for parts for a computer to build. I will only use the computer for Internet surfing, watching videos on Youtube and typing stuff in MS Word. I will never play a video game on it, do any video editing, PDF file editing, etc. How much RAM should I get? My current computer that I use for the above uses has 1 GB and does fine. I have never gotten a “Virtual memory is low” message with it, but some say to get at least 2 GB of RAM. Since RAM is so cheap now I don’t mind getting 2 GB or even more if doing so would be an improvement. Also, does the RAM brand matter except for the really off brands? Is there a significant difference in quality with RAM these days? Crucial is a common cheaper brand that I’m currently using. Is Crucial good quality? Is it ok to use different RAM brands in the same computer, and does each RAM slot have to have the same sized RAM stick? The processor I’m currently using is 1.6 GHz, and my computer speed is fine. But faster is always better, so would a 2.2 GHz cpu be worth getting or even a 3.2 GHz? Approximately how much do cpu’s increase computer speed i.e. would a computer with a 3.2 GHz cpu be twice as fast as a 1.6 GHz cpu computer? What are the best price versus performance Intel cpu’s? Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
For your uses, 1GB would be fine. However, 2GB couldn't hurt, especially if you will be using Vista.

There isn't too much difference in "budget" RAM. Crucial is a fine brand.

Technically, it should be okay to use different RAM brands in the same computer, assuming they are all of the same type (ie. all DDR, all DDR2, etc.). However, in reality, some motherboards don't handle mixing RAM too well. I'd recommend just spending ~$40 on a 2GB kit and use that and then you'd be set.

As for the CPU, it depends what type of CPU you have. A lower-clocked CPU based on the Core architecture (such as a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual-Core) will always outperform a higher-clocked Pentium 4. If you are happy with your CPU's speed, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Mushkin will be a little bit more expensive (maybe around $5 - 10 or something like that), but they have heat spreaders on them.

As far as size, go with 2 GB if this is a Vista build. I've had issues with Vista when running only 1 GB of RAM.

The CPU is the heart of your computer, so that would be one of the best places to splurge a little. To match the current technology, with a decent speed, you have the Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 for $120. Even though you don't plan on playing any games, or anything like that, it should still be a decent improvement. However, until just recently, I was using a desktop with a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor. It did a good enough job for what you need it for.