Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Poblems

• Please log in to reply

finalmad

finalmad

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi again ok here is my problem i got a new maxtor 160gb ide hard drive for my parents old pc so i was setting it as a slave so that they could dump there info on that and wont take up the maters hd space so went and set the jumpers for master on the old hd and slave on the new one step one complete then i went in the bios and it detected the hard dive i used auto detect and it was there step two check now when the computer booted and i went in my computer no new hd to be found so i said ok went in disk management and not there either soooo any help on this one.........the one with the best answer wins 50 awesome points :)

Edited by finalmad, 13 October 2008 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First check connections. No drive at all suggests either no good connections( bad data cable?) or a completely dead drive. If you know how to get into the bios, look there to see if the drive is listed. If not, the drive is probably dead. A few refurbished drives i bought a long time ago were formatted in RAW mode, but they could still be seen by the computer and formatted.

I do wonder why you have the drives set as master and slave. It's been a long time since i did this with computers. Usually setting the jumpers to cable select and making sure the main drive is on the end of the data cable works the best.

SRX660

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok i did see it in the bios so its good also the drive is brand spanking new.......umm the setting of the jumpers i thought was important....... :)

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok after riping open my pc to check the cables i realized something it was bad because as soon i i went take it out to re adjust it broke soo ill get a replacement tomorrow and message u back to see if that fixed it thank u *gives 50 awesome points to SRX660*

Edited by finalmad, 14 October 2008 - 06:41 PM.

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
........New cables did not work.....should i take off the jumper settings and just leave them open?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Set both drives jumpers to cable select and see if the drive shows up. If you cannot see the drive then, return it for a replacement drive. You really should not have any problems seeing a brand new drive in windows unless it is already dead.

SRX660

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK just to make sure which is cable select? ill be really pissed if the drive is dead...........hierin boot cd time!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a website showing the cable select settings for maxtor and seagate.

http://www.studynote...-Troubleshooter

SRX660

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I'm afraid I don't have the solution for you, but something similar did happen to me (and I think I posted it on G2G but i cant find the topic right now) and it kinda fixed itself.

Anyways, I wanted to say that it sounds very doubtful that it is a dead hard drive. More like a difficult-to-find config problem. Now I have never done this myself, but couldn't you just plug in the new hard drive by itself and see if you get the "BOOT DISK FAILURE" message?

WARNING: I am not suggesting that you do this because I have never done it before and so I don't know the effects of going from a hard drive with an O/S on it to a new blank hard drive. But, if you find out it is safe to do this, then you would be able to rule out a bad hard drive

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok i know its not a dead hd because i took off the old one and installed windows on the new one and everything went smooth so im now checking the link SRX660 sent and ill message back with results

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
......still no dice i cant figure it out

finalmad

finalmad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
*bump* please help