Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Windows Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply

jrd1941

jrd1941

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Folks,
I've got a weird problem with Windows Explorer and my hard drive. The drive is about 3 or4 months old WD 500GB in a new system I just built. Anyway the machine comes up fine. I can get on the net and into my mail. I can run my programs with no apparent problem with the exception of Windows Explorer. When I go in it comes up fine. I can see the drives and documents with no problem. I can go to one of the subdirectories on my C: drive and create new subs by going to file |new|directory and everything works okay. If I go to the c: drive itself I can go to view, favorites, tools and help. If I try to get into file or edit it locks up the machine. It just sites there for hours with the hourglass. If I do a <ctr>,<alt>,<del> to bring up the task manager it tells me the the c:drive is not responding. If I do an end process the windows Explorer on the C: drive goes away and things work fine again. I would really like to add a few more subdirectories be able to carry out some of the file and edit functions. I am a retired PC techie so I do have a clue or two about PCs but this one is driving me nuts. I just added the new HP printer (Office Pro K5400). I deleted the older printers and software before I added the new stuff but I think this problem predated the new printer by a few days. Since we just moved in the last couple of weeks the time frames are scrambled in my head. If any one can up with some suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dick
e-mail address removed

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Since you have a PC Techie background....
Can we presume that you've run System File Checker to assure that all Windows OS files are in place and not corrupt?
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <-- notice the required space.

If SFC identifies any missing or corrupt OS files it will call for your Windows installation CD.
If you don't have one there is a "work-around" or you can borrow one of the same flavor for this procedure.

You might want to EDIT out your email address.
Forums are a favorite place for automated Bots to find personally identifying information.
I'll ask a Mod to Edit it out for you if your post time-lapse has expired for personally editing yourself.

Best Regards,
Doug

jrd1941

jrd1941

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Folks,
I thought I sent a reply to Doug's suggestion last night on my way to a meeting but it doesn't appear that it went through. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Doug. I did run system file checker. I also ran chkdsk /f. I defraged the drive. It took 3 hours to defrag 10 gigs on a 500 gig sata 2 drive. I tried some other things also. I created a new folder in a subdirectory and one in My Documents. They both took with no problem. I was then able to drag and drop them onto the root directory of C: without out a hitch. The problem only appears when I try to use file or edit on the root directory or when I right click on root directory to use one of the function under the right-click features. I can use view, favorites, tools and help under the root directory.
Thanks again for trying to help. I guess unless someone can come up with some other suggestions I'm a little to leery to try and get by with the subdirectory work around and should just wipe the drive clean and try to reload everything.