Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

many windows open to blank white screens

• Please log in to reply

antiherodave

antiherodave

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
someone please help!!! my homepage in internet properties says one thing but always goes to

runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx

i can't system restore in safe mode or anyother way, it is just a plain white window. as is when i try to
read my email, update windows is a plain white window, user accounts in control panel is plane white
window, trying to configure my router is a plain white window (i have a wireless router, my dell pc is
ethernet wired and my ps3 is wireless, i can pull up the router configuration page on ps3 but to actually
configure it, it must be hardwired(not wireless))...but that is the least of my worries. i scan with XoftSpySE and
it finds nothing, i scan with spyware doctor, nothing! Someone please, please help. i have ordered a portable
hard drive from dell to move my music, movies, pic, and vids, and then reformat the whole [bleep] thing, but if
someone could help i would rather not do that!!!!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Runonce of msn is the first site that your computer goes to, automatically, after the installation of IE 7.0. It should give you some options regarding your home page etc. Please try the following:

1: in the address line of IE choose another link e.g goggle.com and click Enter. Can you get to this site?

2: If not, go to Add/Remove programs in control panel and uninstall IE 7.0. This will roll you back to IE 6.0. Is it OK now?

3: If not, please use the link to the malware forum in my list below, follow the prerequisite scans and continue with a HJT log if the problem persist.

antiherodave

antiherodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i typed in google.com and went to it with no trouble. it is just certain windows are blank, like http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx, which is not even listed as my home page. i can't add
search engines to my search defaults in internet properties. user accounts is a blank white page. on the
internet, i can type in my user name and password, but it goes though to a blank white page. windows
update is a blank white page. and my motorola router, i can put in my user name and password, then
it goes to blank white page. i first had this problem when i was forwarding a port, the motorola guy on the
phone said it must be blocked by a firewall. i had been experimenting with different firewalls, i.e. zone
alarm comodo firewall pro, but i had removed them. then i discovered that although i had add/removed
comodo firewall pro, my security center said it was still running! it thought this was the problem. i found
a thread online that resolved it and now i have spyware doctor, peer guardian 2 beta 6c, and windows firewall.
i can turn these programs off and the white window problem still exists!!

some windows open just fine, others open as a blank white window! it's drivin' me crazy!

antiherodave

antiherodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
p.s.
i have RegCure and CCleaner, ran both, but no avail!!!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is it possible that these links show up, for some reason, in Restricted Sites list? (Security in internet options). Please have a look.

Can you disable both windows and the router firewall? Please try if you didn't already.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried FireFox as a browser? Please do. This can help us to eliminate the possibilities for the source of the problem.

antiherodave

antiherodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
dude, you hit the nail on the head!!!!! i installed explorer 8 first, no good. then i installed firefox
per the instructions of my isp customer service and booyah! problem solved! thank you guys so
much, in the future if i have any problems i'm glad to know i'm registered to this site (even though
i fixed it before i read the final post, you would have fixed it too, so i'll just use you guys next time!)
thx so much :) :) :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.