Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have about 20 ext hdds and the break/stop working within a year or two and I have to replace them. Some of them are USB 2.0, some Firewire and some are SATA. Before I built my computer, I only had USB 2.0 and Firewire. Half of the ext hdds contain original and the other half contain back-up copies. I rarely turn on an ext hdd that contains my back-ups, only to add some files, but they break quickly also.

The int hdd never breaks and it gets the most use. It has my programs on it and a lot of files on it. It's also the drive that I use to download/install programs and files and run cleaning and anti-virus/malware programs on it, defrag often, etc.

Is there an explanation why my int hdd never break but my ext hdds break quickly? 99% of them contain video files that I watch.

Advertisements