Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting issue on laptop, urgent help needed

• Please log in to reply

Creatine

Creatine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am downgrading a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop from Windows Vista to XP. The laptop was designed to run on both platforms, and I have all the drivers needed.

My problem is, when I place my windows XP cd in and boot, it will start fine but when it comes to detecting the hard drives later on it can't find any so I cant delete/create partitions and install XP.

I realized I needed the third party program drivers for the sata hard drives. I got them, cleaned up my usb stick, and extracted them to my usb. When I placed it in and restarted the computer, it comes up with a screen saying place the factory floopy disk into drive A: and hit enter to continue, but it does nothing.

I have tried both, having the usb in on start up, and placing it right before that screen comes up and it does nothing.

Please help, thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Why can't you make your own slipstreamed CD that has Sata Raid drivers included in the CD?

http://www.maximumpc...XP-installation

http://www.digitgeek...ers-into-xp-cd/

I considered doing this on my acer laptop but kept Vista on it and now would not go back to XP. I really don't have any problems with vista at all.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 15 October 2008 - 03:05 PM.