Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

%systemroot% and recovery console

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mhl22

mhl22

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, Ive got a suspected virus, that no amount of scanning,(kaspersky online,windows safetyone online,panda antivirus 2008,panda online,free antivir),can find. The reason I think I have a virus is because my computer is soooo slow, it hangs and has application errors all the time. Also in tryiing to figure out this problem I've read a ton of forums related to my problem and they all seem to point to a virus although none of the fixes have worked...yet! The most likely place it resides is in the pagefile.sys. The reason I say this, is because I've read that others have had similar problems and that is the only file that could not be accessed by the antivir program (it's the only one that told me what was not scaned). Also, every time I go hunting around that system my computer acts up worse than ever. It will give me false claims that my antivirus and firewalls are down when in actuality they are not. I have come to the conclusion that I need to delete my pagefile.sys based on what I've learned from all the forums I've read,so I've booted from the windows xp disk and accessed the recovery console to get into the %systemroot% files so I can attatch a file to the pagefile.sys so that it can be seen in the directory to enable me to delete that file. Here in lies the problem. For some reason,I think the virus, I cannot access the systemroot when I type in the command. It just does nothing. I've googled and read all I can about this but can find nothing that pertains to my exact problem. If anyone can tell me how to get into the systemroot,I'll put down the hammer and relax. Please be aware that I've only been on a computer for about 9 mo. so my terminology is in it's infantcy. Be gentle. Thank you in advance for any help I might recieve. Matt

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Please consider following the instruction in Malware Removal and posting your issue there.
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

I'll be asking an Admin/Mod to consider closing this thread so that you can pick up your work with the trained Malware Folks over in that Forum.

Best Regards,
Doug

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

mhl22

mhl22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to Doug and Rathat for the replies and I allready did all those things you both suggested that are in the malware forums. Well, as I stated in my original post, I have not been at this computer stuff for very long and don't know my way around these forums like all you pros so let me first apologize for posting in the wrong catagory. Now to it. I have solved my problem by myself. It turns out that when I typed systemroot in the command prompt I actually was in systemroot (rookie). I was then able to overwrite the existing pagefile.sys file with boot.ine and delete the pagefile.sys. NO MORE VIRUS!!! So for those that run into a virus in the pagefile.sys the best way to get rid of it is to go to: support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 (how to install and use the recovery console in windows xp) and: support.microsoft.com/kb.255205 (how to delete the pagefile.sys in recovery console). Between these two articles you can easily remove the virus. There is one discrepency though in kb/255205. As it states at the bottom of the page, it applies to windows 2000. So,for xp,in step 1, after you boot into recovery console, you type: 1 and press enter. Skip step 2 . Then type: systemroot and press enter. You can then follow steps 3,4 and 5,reboot, and no more virus. I hope this will save somebody all the headaches I've been through for the last couple months. I guess I'll have to come up with a different problem so I will actually get to corespond with some of you geeks. Later, Matt

mhl22

mhl22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
p.s. for rathat. it must be nice living on THAT pedistal you put yourself on. but then it may not be.