Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSGENG.EXE

• Please log in to reply

RSISPY

RSISPY

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI ALL,

I have now experienced this problem on a few occasions and it has now irritated me to no end.

When opening Outlook (used vesions 2003 and 2002) it takes forever to open and is very unresponsive when it finally does. I check in the Task manager at the processes and found that msgeng.exe is using up all the system resorces. When I END the process the machine is back to normal.

This has now happened on various machines.

I recently installed XP from scratch on my Notebook, but the problem has re-emerged!!!

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Paul

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Are you using BOTH versionsof outlook (2002 and 2003), on the same machine or only one?

RSISPY

RSISPY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The OS is WIN XP Pro. I tried both office 2000 and office 2003 on two different occasions to see if the issue was related to the office version. Seems not to be related to the version of office.

I even have had the issue on two different machines. I have a desktop and a Notebook. I recently re-installed XP on my notebook and am now battling with the same issue on my notebook.

The strange thing about it is that even if you leave the machine for an extended period of time this service will remain at 95% processor usage constantly.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you, by chance, remove/uninstall the MS Messenger IM client?

RSISPY

RSISPY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
On one machine I am using MSN Messenger, so there I have not uninstalled anything. On my notebook, I have just re-installed XP so nothing has been uninstalled.

I took my time this morning to observe exactly what is happening. It seems that it may not be related to OFFICE at all. I left the machine to boot up completely. Only then did I go into the TASK Manager. MSGENG.exe was using 95% CPU and was not going to stop.

Thanks for the help so far!!!!