Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice for a graphics card please

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
[attachment=23999:System_specs.htm]

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi.

Built a system in 2000 which is now very tired and I have a hardware fault on the motherboard, so time to build again.

Will be a duel boot system running Window XP.

First drive is for general office work.

Second drive for, video editing, scanning of slides and old photographs, manipulating and printing of same, graphic design and trials of odd programs. Also fiddle about with the OS.

I want the System to be, hopefully, upgradable for five years.

Case. Antac P180.

Psu. Antac Neo 650 blue.

Mobo. Asus P5Q deluxe.

CPU. Intel E8400.

Ram. Corsair Xms2/6400 x 2.

HDs. Spinpoint F1dt 500 x 2

Cooler Noctua NH-U1ZP.

Have an external HD FOR BACKUP.

I WILL NOT BE PLAYING GAMES.

Looking forward to any Suggestions and opinions please.

A suitable graphics card?

Have I missed anything?

Have I gone over the top with the specs?

Thanks.

iammykyl

Hi there,

I've copied your attachment here for everyone's benefit.

First and foremost, an optical drive - perhaps a DVD Burner?

Secondly, if you aren't playing games, then the cheapest compatible video card will suffice. If you get something like the Radeon 3450, then it would be a good choice.

Overall, it's a great-looking build. Some would call it a bit over the top, but if you are intending it to last that many years, then this would be the least in my opinion.

Cheers

Troy

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Troy.

Thanks for the info. Failed to mention I have a Writemaster, sata, burner I also have an almost new LG Secure Disc burner but is 80 pin E-IDE. As I do not want that huge ribbon in the case, is there any way to adapt the connection?

Would you use an old wireless card or buy a newer version?

Thank's

Michael.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

If you have a SATA burner (From memory, Samsung make the Writemaster), then just install it. You don't need to install two optical drives if you don't want.

There may be an adapter of some sort, but I am not experienced with them, if there is such a thing.

For the wireless card, as long as it's in good working order, and you have the correct drivers for your operating system, then there's no reason why not to use it again.

Cheers

Troy

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Troy.

I like 2 burners as I often go, direct copy.
I have the drivers for the wireless card, so will reuse.

Thank's for all you help. Will start the build next week.

Regards.

Michael.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Cheers and good luck with it, then.

If you take your time with the routing of cables, you can get IDE cables installed pretty well too.

You can also get IDE cables that have been wound up and are a lot smaller. Here's a whole bunch of coloured ones.

Troy

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

I also have an almost new LG Secure Disc burner but is 80 pin E-IDE. As I do not want that huge ribbon in the case, is there any way to adapt the connection?

You can get floppy cables that are wrapped up, they're not in a huge ribbon, more like a cord, except for on the ends. Dunno If you can get these for IDE tho. I would expect you probably could if you looked. :)

EDIT: Sorry Troy, didn't read your last post :)

Edited by jt1990, 22 October 2008 - 01:12 PM.