Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable Internal Mic

• Please log in to reply

Alaistar

Alaistar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got an Acer Aspire 5920 and I just got an external mic for it, but I was wondering if there was a way to disable the built-in mic on the notebook. That mic seems to be picking up a lot of unwanted noise so I wanted to disable it so only the external mic can pick up sound.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Alaistar, 17 October 2008 - 01:24 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G & sorry for the delay in replying

I'm going to hazard a guess at this one as it's something I've never personally tried to do...

Go to Start ->Run.. and type: devmgmt.msc [click ok]
Expend the Sound Video & Game controllers branch & double click on the device that relates to your integrated mic.
In the properties window, use the drop down box in 'Device Usage' to select the 'disabled' option.
Click OK & close Device manager

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I can see in your profile that you are using Windows XP, so that's what I'm writing the instructions for. If you have Vista, it's going to be significantly different.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices, then click the Audio tab. You'll see three categories - sound playback, sound recording, and MIDI music playback. Select the Volume button underneath the Sound Recording category (the middle one), and adjust appropriately. For me, I have three mics listed, Line In, Microphone, and Digital Mic. Microphone is the one you want turned all the way down.
Clicking the Select checkbox underneath Line In or Digital Mic should also disable the internal microphone.

Alaistar

Alaistar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I think the device manager cleared it up.