Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Cygwin on Mac?

• Please log in to reply

garaden

garaden

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm in a programming class where the development environment is Cygwin with a plethora of .bat scripts for unit testing, navigation, etc. Problem is, is there any way I can use this environment on my Mac? I'm trying Darwine but Cygwin won't install, and I can't find Wine anywhere on Fink, especially since they're not really supporting it anymore. I really want to see if I can use a Mac without dual-booting Windows... though I'm considering installing Ubuntu since all the OS X tools seem to be ported from Linux. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

dankegel

dankegel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For what it's worth, I just tried installing cygwin on Wine-1.1.6, and it ran
gcc and vim (but not gvim) very well indeed. There was one
trick, which I documented in the appdb at
http://appdb.winehq....?...on&iId=3510
You have to replace some cygwin symlinks with native
(linux or macosx) symlinks to get gcc to work.

You might try using Codeweavers Crossover to solve the
"where do I get Wine?" problem. Alternately try
finding Wine packages elsewhere, e.g. http://thisismyinter.net/

Good luck!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
There is no need for Cgywin because MAC OS X is BSD based and has a BASH shell by default. Therefore there is no need to emulate a UNIX environment or a BASH shell.

though I'm considering installing Ubuntu since all the OS X tools seem to be ported from Linux.

Not Linux, BSD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd

Edited by Titan8990, 21 October 2008 - 04:05 PM.

dankegel

dankegel

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There is no need for Cgywin because MAC OS X is BSD based and has a BASH shell by default. Therefore there is no need to emulate a UNIX environment or a BASH shell.

Ideally, yes. However if you'd read the original question, you'd see that the guy's teacher did something really strange: he wrote a system consisting of mixed .bat and shell scripts.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I guess I still don't understand? Just run the scripts in the MAC environment. Or are you saying that the teacher has come up with some type of Cygwin package w/ scripts included??

Advertisement