Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cygwin on Mac?

• Please log in to reply

garaden

garaden

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm in a programming class where the development environment is Cygwin with a plethora of .bat scripts for unit testing, navigation, etc. Problem is, is there any way I can use this environment on my Mac? I'm trying Darwine but Cygwin won't install, and I can't find Wine anywhere on Fink, especially since they're not really supporting it anymore. I really want to see if I can use a Mac without dual-booting Windows... though I'm considering installing Ubuntu since all the OS X tools seem to be ported from Linux. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dankegel

dankegel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For what it's worth, I just tried installing cygwin on Wine-1.1.6, and it ran
gcc and vim (but not gvim) very well indeed. There was one
trick, which I documented in the appdb at
http://appdb.winehq....?...on&iId=3510
You have to replace some cygwin symlinks with native
(linux or macosx) symlinks to get gcc to work.

You might try using Codeweavers Crossover to solve the
"where do I get Wine?" problem. Alternately try
finding Wine packages elsewhere, e.g. http://thisismyinter.net/

Good luck!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
There is no need for Cgywin because MAC OS X is BSD based and has a BASH shell by default. Therefore there is no need to emulate a UNIX environment or a BASH shell.

though I'm considering installing Ubuntu since all the OS X tools seem to be ported from Linux.

Not Linux, BSD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd

Edited by Titan8990, 21 October 2008 - 04:05 PM.

dankegel

dankegel

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There is no need for Cgywin because MAC OS X is BSD based and has a BASH shell by default. Therefore there is no need to emulate a UNIX environment or a BASH shell.

Ideally, yes. However if you'd read the original question, you'd see that the guy's teacher did something really strange: he wrote a system consisting of mixed .bat and shell scripts.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I guess I still don't understand? Just run the scripts in the MAC environment. Or are you saying that the teacher has come up with some type of Cygwin package w/ scripts included??