Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up at BIOS, DMI Check, XP Logo, etc

• Please log in to reply

misterharris

misterharris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I need some help as to figuring out if I need to buy new CPU, Mobo, power supply.

Today while I was playing COD4, it froze.. and i had a high pitch sound in my headphones. I turned off my computer and it wouldn't start.. it would do the ram check (it gave it an ok) it got to the windows xp logo, froze. I turned it off and decided I would put in my old video card (8600GTS) because possibly I fried my new 9800GTX (I don't think I did). Same problem, it would freeze. It would freeze at random places, I would get to "last know config" or POST error has occued prompt and the countdown would freeze at 15sec, 11secand 8sec on multiple times. A few times it wouldn't even starting checking for my hard drives. I got in to safe mode, but it froze when a command prompt popped up. I couldn't get in to the BIOS.. so I reset the jumper... it worked then it froze, tried it again (resetting the jumper) froze. I took out the sound card, disconnected the HD's, took out my ram all expect for the one.. switched them around... same thing, locked up. I hooked up a 250W PS (regular is 600w) and it still locked up, I would figure even if its not enough watts it wouldn't freeze at the BIOS or doing the IDE Master channel listing. I'm puzzled as to whats wrong, I have a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 for my mobo. Would it be a dying CPU? heats up then gets to hot and locks up? borked PSU? borked mobo? Please help, I don't want to buy a new PSU/CPU/MOBO and figure out it still doesn't work or have to buy something needlessly.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like a memory stick or the processor went bad. You can download memtest86 to a CD or floppy and run it for a while to test the memory. If the processor cache is bad it should show that too. If the central processor is bad it should show a machine check exception in most cases.

misterharris

misterharris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I downloaded memtest86, put it on a floppy.. actually my psu didn't seem to have a floppy power connector so I had to connect that 250w. I got to the boot menu, when boot from floppy, said it was starting but then it froze. I'm not sure if its the ram, I have 2 5400 OCZ and 2 6400 OCZ, i've just one 5400 in, same thing still happened. I put in a 6400, same thing still happened.