Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc restarts on the time

• Please log in to reply

matt100

matt100

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had a problem with my graphic cards so I deleted them and then installed the latest drivers. This did the trick but this morning I turned on my pc today and I see the screen that says my motherboard on it which is normally but then my monitor says there is no signal and I have to wait for a bit for the pc to start up again and then it restarts and again and again. The best it got to was it managed to get onto desktop for 5 second and then restarted.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Go to Start-Control Panel-System/Advanced-Startup&Recovery(Settings).
In the System Failure section, deselect the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.

Thereafter, you will be presented with a Blue Screen Error message display instead of automatic restart.
The Blue screen will give your specifics of the error message for further research.

This change configures the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You will then have to manually restart the system.

Keep in mind that you will have to work fast in order to make the change before the system reboots.
You may have better luck making the change if you launch the system in Safe Mode.

Once your system is back to normal, you can enable the Startup and Recovery system.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Did you make any "physical changes" to your machine?
for instance, removing the video card and reinstalling it?
Check any necessary power connectors and make sure the video card is firmly seated in its slot.

Since this problem began upon the occassion of installing new video driver, you might just "roll back" to the previous driver. (if it's still there)
You can do this in SAFE Mode - Control Panel

Or just try reinstalling the driver.

matt100

matt100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you for your reply. I phoned up a support line who have fixed my pc recently and they said it probably is a power surge because the pc was working for 169 hours when they was running tests on it. I have two socets that both have adapters in. I got three plugs in one and one plug in the other. I switched off the socket and took the plug out of the one that only had one plug in the adapter, now my pc starts and doesn't restarts. Could this be the cause of the problem? Also can I buy something to test the problem?