Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a New Laptop and Never Owned One Before

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, this is my first ever laptop and I ASSUMED that I could just go to McDonald's and connect to their "Free Wireless" and surf the net etc...

However, I was unable to connect .... Being new at this, (laptop, wireless) I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

1. Do I need my own Internet Service Provider to allow me to hook to the internet?

2. If not, could someone give me some ideas to try the next time I go to McDonald's or any other place that has "Free Wireless"?

Thanks in advance as I know this is the best place to get help and it usually comes soon!

dog

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
First, make sure your wireless is turned on for your laptop. Some, like mine, has an external switch to turn it off/on. Next, you have to run the Wireless Setup Wizard to set up and sniff out wireless connections available. Then it may give you a list of available connections and whether they are secured/unsecured. Pick the one at MacDonald's (unsecured more than likely) and connect to it. It may then ask you whether you want to remember/save this connection.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
HAHAHA .... turn on my wireless? wow who'd have thunk it! Now I understand how it works, never knew there was a switch, but that is exactly what I needed to do. Now I can 'see' wireless networks when I go places. Of course McDonald's wants money to use theirs, but at least now I know what I'm doing ... thanks Major Payne

dog