Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I'm in the process of building my own music-editing suite and am building a PC to go with it. But I don't want to have to do basic home computer functions on the editing PC - I'm going to keep my current one, and (because it's a bit rubbish) upgrade it so it'll run fairly quickly.

I do like to play Civilisation, Command & Conquer, Starcraft etc, but I'm not too interested in PC gaming so I don't need ridiculous clock speeds and the like, just something which'll let me run multiple programs (word processing, internet browsing, downloading) comfortably. I have a very short temper and get very angry at my computer atm... >:-o

I just upgraded to 2GB RAM, and that's done a lot of good, but I really think I need to upgrade the processor to give it a little more whack.

I was thinking Intel Core 2 Duo?

So can anyone recommend a good, mid-range motherboard which will fit my Dell Optiplex case and have slots for 184-pin RAM? Possibly with integrated video & sound cards?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Dell designs their cases so that you can't put a different motherboard in them. You'll need to look at a new case, I'm afraid.

Intel Core 2 Duo is a good choice. I'm on a laptop, but when I bought it I got the T5750 2.0GHz chip, and it's worked beautifully for me. If you don't do heavy gaming, I would probably recommend the desktop equivalent (I'm not sure which version that is right off the top of my head,) but I've had good luck with mine :)

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Alas, as I feared. I'd heard that they were s***'s like that, but didn't want to believe it.

Any recommendations as to motherboards then (Seeing as I'm buying a new case)? tbh, not too bothered about that; the Dell one is horrible looking!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What prices are you looking for? You can spend megabucks on a really cool looking case if you want to, but you can get some for under $50 if you don't really care what it looks like. Check out newegg to see what you like the looks of :)