Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Faulty Drivers

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
I have a hp pavilion hdx 9300 series laptop. Last night I was having trouble running windows updates. I came to the conclusion that eset was the culprit and worked to get them to install. This morning i have been having trouble with my quick launch buttons actin on thier own. some of them seem to randomly push themselves. for example, I have several times in teh last five minutes or so had my cdrom eject, my sound turn off, and for a while i had my wirless/bluetooth turning itself on and off..

I thought originally that maybe someone gained acces to it somehow and was messing with me. I have since then disconnected the ethernet, and turned off the wireless/bluetooth. Also since then I have still be having the same issues. I checked task manager and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, nor does anything in the resource monitor, so i dont think it is malware related. But im having eset do a scan right now and will continue with spybot s&D as well as malwarebytes, and super antispyware as well if i can find it again. CCleaner logs don't point out anything unusual either.

I looked at the updates i went through last night and none of them were for the quick launch buttons. I have previously done an update for them.. but havent had any trouble til today. I think one of the updates fro m last night has possibly corrupted something else that controlls them.

Anyone have any ideas where my problem may lie?

Thanks in advanced for any comments...

Advertisements

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm not really sure but if you’re using a wireless keyboard or mouse then check you have the latest drivers for them. You could have corrupted the original drivers by forcing an Update.

If they are sending random code then you may experience that kind of thing especially if your keyboard has short cut keys.

It’s worth a try.

Edited by SkyLogic, 21 October 2008 - 09:05 AM.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
thanks for the idea.. but im using the laptops built in keyboard and trackpad..

thats an excellent idea though...

what is acting up IS the shorcut keys on the laptops built in keyboard.. they are touch sensitive.. kiinda like a touch screen.. but i know for a fact that im not hitting them because most of the time i owrking on anouther computer(like right now) when they act up.. for example the sound just turned off again and i hear the cdrom starting to spin.. it starts spinning just before it acts up..

thanks again for the idea..

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
No problem. Post up whether it works or not.

:)

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

No problem. Post up whether it works or not.

:)

wait, now i am confused.. what was i trying? you suggested not to use the wireless stuff, but I'm not. I am using the built in keyboard/"mouse". so im confused as to what you want me to post about after i try.

sorry if its something i missed, been a long day and im tired and ready to go back to bed.. :)

oh by the way.. it has stopped for a little while. I ran esets scanner and malwarebytes scanner as well.. both came up with no infections found so i think it is definitely not malware related(yes i know these dont catch everything, but most of the time they pick up Something if its there). I havent done anything else different. Weird.

Let me try to explain something else that may be affecting it.

The other night I heard what sounded to be a clicking noise. I put my ear down next to the laptops fan and here and there. Finally i decided the clicking noise was coming from the floor. I picked up the power adapter and put it next to my ear to discover the clicking noise was coming from it. I asked boss man about it, since he is our main server guy and was in electrical engineering for a while before starting off in computers, and he said that the transformer in the power adapter may be arching. Would this cause a corruption in the drivers used to send code to the quick launch "touch" button? or should i be looking more towards motherboard failure due to power surge from the arching transformer?

just a thought...

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 21 October 2008 - 03:46 PM.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
i should have mentioned before that this laptop is running 64 bit vista ultimate... sorry i left that bit of detail out...

also the laptop is under full total care warranty for he next 4 years.. so if the arching transformer is causeing some hardware issues then thats not such a huge problem. Luckyily i decided to pay the extra 300$ for the warranty including accidental care as well :)

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Even if its a laptop it will have/need drivers for the tracker pad and the keyboard shortcuts. Go to the HP website and check the Keyboard & Tracker Pad driver updates, get the latest drivers.

Edited by SkyLogic, 22 October 2008 - 10:00 AM.