Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro logs in then logs out!

• Please log in to reply

billsue1

billsue1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was on the internet when I had a power outage, upon power restoration I restarted my computer and got the blue screen telling me that I had an "improper shutdown etc" and it checked my system and trunducated some files then told me to restart and run "chkdsk".
Upon restarting everything looked normal and went to the login screen. I entered my password and it loaded my desktop background then logged me out back to the login screen. So I insert my disk and went to do a repair.
I have done both the secound repair option and the recovery console option and every time I enter the admin. password it does the same login-logout routene.
Next I went in and changed my password during the "loading devices" portion of the repair option all to no avail.
So I cannot do any repairs that require my password to start up the system. System will not run in "Safe Mode" and will not load "Last known good . . I do not wish to load fresh as I will loose my accounting program and all the other programs many of which were down loaded from the Net and there are no disk in my possetion. What do I do?????????

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I had this problem recently on a computer...lemme dig through my old trouble tickets...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I ran a repair install of Windows and this resolved the issue for me. Let us know how it turns out! :)

billsue1

billsue1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The problem is that I cannot log in. Its a repeat of the origional problem due to the fact that after the repair install you must still log in. I can do the repair install but at the login it just goes to the desktop and logsout back to the login screen.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yes - and after the repair install (in my scenario) the login worked.