Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED (Is this a problem with CHKDSK or normal behavior?)

• Please log in to reply

philshantz

philshantz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A week or so ago I went to defrag my C drive and got the message that I did not have enough "room" on the drive for the defrag to work properly, and that I should delete or move some files to free up some disk space (I had about 4 GB of space on the 40GB drive and defrag wanted 15% free). I had the option of running it anyway, which I did. It ran rather quickly and afterward, the graphic display of the drive looked as fragmented as it did before running the program -- not the clean solid color bars that it usually shows.

I let that go and yesterday finally got around to moving enough files to a seperate drive so defrag didn't complain, and then defragged the drive. This time it took a LOOOONG time (actually, I finally went to bed after it seemed almost stuck at about 25% of the progress bar for a while) but it was completed in the morning. I then did a reboot, and was prompted to run CHKDSK, which I did.

Chkdsk seemed to run as usual, and after it reached 100% I was ready to get on with life...BUT...it then switched into a mode I've never seen before: full screens of gibberish-hash text passing by so fast I couldn't read any of it (actually, as I couldn't read it I can't swear to it's being gibberish but...)

After what seemed like about a quarter hour or so of this I got fed up, took a deep breath and pushed the reset button -- and when prompted tp run CHKDSK on THAT reboot, I declined.

Windows opened normally and everything seems to be working as it should, but I'm reluctant to turn the computer off or reboot again before I figure out exactly what's going on, so my questions are:

1) What WAS going on?
2) How do I fix it?
3) Most importantly, does this indicate any deeper problems, like imminant disk failure?

Thanks,
Philip

Edited by philshantz, 23 October 2008 - 06:47 AM.

Advertisements

philshantz

philshantz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
SOLVED (I think)

I opened "System Explorer" last night to check things out and saw that one of the two partitions on my F drive (separate drive) showed properties of: "0 bytes capacity / 0 bytes used" and when I tried to access it got a "corrupt drive" message.

I ran a format within System explorer and then ran CHKDSK and it is fine; showing "healthy", no errors or bad sectors and the proper capacity of 60GB.
For good measure I then ran CHKDSK on both the other partition on that drive and my primary C drive -- and they all were fine.

I'm not sure what had happened but everything is skookum now.

Philip