Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online divorcee jailed after killing virtual husband

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

TOKYO: A 43-year-old Japanese woman whose sudden divorce in a virtual game world made her so angry that she killed her online husband's digital persona has been arrested on suspicion of hacking, police said Thursday.

The woman, who is jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

Link here

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Wow nice... I hope she gets a few consecutive life sentences for that one... I guess I better not marry a girl on Albatross18 then divorce her...

Nerdlinger

Nerdlinger

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Why didnt they just ban her virtual account?

Digital Eye for Digital Eye ya know?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This topic must have been discussed at many work places. Certainly it was at mine. In any case, I think the woman will probably end up suing someone for being arrested since the "victim" actually gave her the password to his account... thereby giving her permission to access. She wasn't arrested for "virtual murder", it was "supposed" hacking. What's this world coming to??? LOL!!!!

makai

PS... by the way Sari... Congratulations!!!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Why didnt they just ban her virtual account?

Digital Eye for Digital Eye ya know?

see was charged with illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, so she actually committed a crime. It wasn’t like she just killed the character through normal game play :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, makai. :)

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

This topic must have been discussed at many work places. Certainly it was at mine. In any case, I think the woman will probably end up suing someone for being arrested since the "victim" actually gave her the password to his account... thereby giving her permission to access. She wasn't arrested for "virtual murder", it was "supposed" hacking. What's this world coming to??? LOL!!!!

makai

PS... by the way Sari... Congratulations!!!

Where do you work that you get to discuss stuff like this... Well anyway, the article makes it sound like he did not give her the password. Rather she hacked his account to gain entry and kill his character. Even if he did give her the password, she probably still broke the rules set by the company in some way.

"What's this world coming to???" You have to take into account that this is in Japan. They have a completely different set of standards, and these standards of theirs seem to have worked well so far.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:)!!!!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Even if he did give her the password, she probably still broke the rules set by the company in some way.

Yes and No. If he gave her his password, then no laws were broken. Sure, the company rules were, but no laws.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Even if he did give her the password, she probably still broke the rules set by the company in some way.

Yes and No. If he gave her his password, then no laws were broken. Sure, the company rules were, but no laws.

This goes back to the fact that this took place in Japan. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't know the differences in our laws to Japan's laws. It's hard enough to understand our own laws sometimes... On a side note, it would make sense to me that breaking an agreement set by the company would be against the law, allowing the company to take actions against it. The police and judges may not get involved on such trivial matters, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't part of the law.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....if you kill someone in maplestory....do you get a "SecondLife" sentence? nyuck nyuck nyuck....i'm surprised no one attempted that one yet...you people's punnyness is slipping

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Maybe the rest of us realized that that was such a bad pun it wasn't even worth posting. :)

worrie wort55

worrie wort55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
who do i have to talk to about finding a way to recovering old myspace messages :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I don't believe you can, but I don't see how that question is relevant to this thread.