Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs running at startup

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I would like to take the "real-tek" sound manager icon of of my start-up menu. I know how to go to msconfig and uncheck programs that start at startup. But I don't want to uncheck something that is necessary.

I can't recognize which one would belong to the real tek. I also wondered if these are necessary for good computer functioning. I do know the ones that are from CA industries are my virus programs, and of course will leave those alone. The rest I wonder why they have to be in my startup.
oeloader
cctray
jusched-/jav
rthdcpl-/sminst
adobe reader

Just curious, and would like to learn about this.
thanks!

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The Real Tek is the one called rthdcpl-/sminst, basically stands for Real Tek HD Control Panel. oeloader is some type of Spyware I believe. I would recommend heading to the Malware section and get help removing any Malware. cctray belongs to your CA Security program. jusched-/jav is the update utility for Java program. Adobe Reader is obviously Adobe Reader. Most of them don't actually need to run on startup. Java updater is usually recommended to be left running so that Java can update as needed but I have disabled it regularly without any issues.