Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help?

• Please log in to reply

compgirl

compgirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so i am new and you are probably so so sick of people like me posting things like this, but i really have tried everything...

there is a pc i would like to set up for guests. i could never get the stupid thing online (7 other computers are fine), finally i reformatted. complete wipe, brand new wip xp, sp3. i installed all the drivers (including the chipset), but nothing else...nothing. i still can't get online. i understand that a lot of not-so-competent people post things like this, but for me - pretend i have a brain (i hold degrees in both computer science and computer engineering).

i have checked everything normal (a million times). i even swapped out the card (prior to reformatting), so it isn't a hardware issue.

prior to my acquisition of it, the computer had been connected to an ms network at my office. (i know) but my home network is completely security free. every other computer is able to connect without any software (it is set up so that anyone can walk in and use it...or by, but that is how it must be).

any random weird things you can think of? everyone i know (including several it professionals) are stumped. at this point i am willing to take any suggestion. i just want to have it for guests so that i can set up a proper network. it is driving me crazy.

thank you. i hope you are having a lovely evening!

~jennifer

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Are you trying to connect wirelessly, or with a Cable? Have you tried a new cable?

compgirl

compgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah it is right byt the router, so it is but, i have swapped out the cable several times and no luck. i even tried installing a wrieless card i pulled out of one of my other pc's and it will install fine, but will not get online. i always have limited connectivity. it is not getting the auto assigned dns suffix from the isp like the others have (no software required).

these is some setting i am missing - it has to be. any thoughts? email any questions...i have done so much that i would surely forget some of the 50+ list!

this is becoming more time sensitive because i have my nephews here on sunday and they have to have a computer to use!!! i am not giving up mine!

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What do you get if you do an ipconfig? Are you sure that you don't have your DHCP server on your router set to filter by MAC address, or set to limit the number of DHCP clients allowed? I am just throwing stuff out there considering you have reformatted and reinstalled Windows. Have you tried changing to a port on the router that has a known working computer connected?

compgirl

compgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you so much. it was the card afterall, although it works just fine in another computer. i have no idea what the logic is behind this (they are the "same" card). thank you for your time and help, i'll be back for sure!