Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Problems on widescreen monitor

• Please log in to reply

favero

favero

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi:
I'm trying to ready a windows 98ME PC for a mate and I changed the resolution on it from 800x600 to 1600x1200 but when I rebooted it wouldn't display the desktop after the Windows 98 logo. I've got a DELL 22" widescreen monitor I'm viewing on through the D-sub connection. It just says something like optimal resolution 1650x1080. Can't view display with a black background. Obviously I'm screwed now or am I. Has anyone got any tips to get it viewing again?

Favero

Edited by favero, 25 October 2008 - 09:29 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot it up in Safe Mode, then change the resolution. It then should ask you to use this resolution on the next boot.

favero

favero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I booted into Safe Mode but as I went through to the desktop and set up the resolution in the usual way it (r-click BG click properties then screen settings the slider doesn't move and was on the 640x setting.)
So no fix here yet

dorsai

dorsai

• Pip
  • 2 posts
did you get the option 1680x1050?
i had the same Problem with my 20" Samsung,but i cant find the option 1680x1050.Now i run it as Plug&Play Monitor without installing any drivers and it works good so far.
Take a look at the Hardware-Manager,if there is more than one Monitor listed?Last step is reinstall the hole system to get the Plug&play modus to your Display.

Edited by dorsai, 29 January 2009 - 04:48 PM.