Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no icons...no start menu/taskbar after restore

• Please log in to reply

Fallenone27

Fallenone27

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok...I tried to do a system restore 2 days ago and when it logged back in I have nothing but wallpaper and a mouse pointer. I can run just about anything via ctrl alt del... and run thru task manager which is how I have been doing all of this. I cannot however get to a webpage and have no internet access as all internet applications fail to connect. I have no icons and no start menu bar.

I have no disk to run a repair or reinstall. The pc does have pc angel on it but I dont have the restore disks and when I try to brun them they won't burn.

so, there's an overview of what I am facing.

Rorschach112 has been helping me for the last 2 days, and we've eliminated the malware and have everything looking good in that respect now, so he sent me over to you guys to see if we can fix my OS issues now.

just FYI...I have been doing everything from my laptop with the help of a jumpdrive and cd-rom since I have no isp access on the system in question.

Thank you sincerely for all your help.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
What comes immediately to mind is why the System Restore was done in the first place. Were the issues that you were trying to correct actually worse than what is going on now?

If you had Internet connection in the 'old' state, perhaps it would be easier just to go back with System Restore.

During a severe malware infection, and sometimes during the clean-up, a user account can become damaged. If often is best to create a new account with Admin rights and switch data and settings to that new account:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

Where you are right now, explorer.exe is not running. Taskmanager>File>New Task>Run. Type explorer.exe OK.

That should start the Taskbar, etc. If not, try a new account.

For the connection issues, try Winsock fix: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4372.html

Might be a good idea to check Device Manager to see if your Network Adapters are working, and the drivers are enabled/up-to-date.

Fallenone27

Fallenone27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried to do a restore because after using the add/remove option from windows control panel and removing programs I no longer use, and then updating drivers I ran into some driver issues. So, I tried to restore. So, no, the issues that I was dealing with werent worse then what I have now, but I've never had anything go wrong when doing a system restore back to a restore point before.

I can't go back to where I started with system restore, because now when I run system restore it is a blank box.

Both user and administrator accounts are both having the same issues. I cannot create a new account because I cannot get to control panel. I did find a command line that let's me bring up the user accounts section, but it is blank as well.

Typing explorer.exe in the run command line as well as browsing to it in the windows directory make the taskbar flash so quickly if you blinked you would miss it. It's like it is shut down before it even starts.

Tried the winsock fix and it didnt help with the connection issues.

Cant get to device manager to check the network adapters.

Also ran an sfc /scannow and all files are ok according to that.

Anything else we can try?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Chances are high that the restore points are still there, they just are not displaying.
This is not an uncommon problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313853

Doug Knox offers a small tool to make the Registry changes simple:
http://www.dougknox....store_blank.htm

Download, unzip, and run. Just click "Repair."
Worth a try to get a System Restore back to a functional state.