Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring AVG,Spybot from old computer to new?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Is it possible to transfer (copy) AVG and Spybot to a new computer without going online to download freshly so as not to have the new computer connected to the internet in that new unprotected state?
Will the Transfer Settings Wizard work? I don't think so, right?

I have a CD/DVD writer and an external disk I could use if they are any help.
Any advice please.

OS XP Home SP2

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Did you save the installer when you downloaded it? Or just download the installer to the old computer and copy it to the new one. I've done that with AVG a few times before.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that sari. I hadn't saved the .exe files so I re downloaded AVG and Spybot and saved them to my flash drive and they seemed to be sitting there OK. When I get my new computer this week I'll see if I can successfully 'transfer'.
Will I simply plug the drive in the new computer right click on the .exe icon and it will be installed on the new one? Seems too simple = perhaps it is!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I would copy the .exe to the new one and install from there. It is quite simple!

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Copy yes? OK I'll do that but as the flash drive will be really a part of the new computer, sticking out the side, won't it think it is on its own HDD system as if I had downloaded to it as normal? Then copying is not needed?

Grateful for enlightenment on this as I am still a novice. Thanks.