Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange scanner issues comapany wide, please help!

• Please log in to reply

Bracol7

Bracol7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been responsible for the deployment of a new company wide imaging system. This has required us to purchase about 20 scanners for each of our branches. We ended up buying the Fujitsu fi-5015c. This is where some of the strangest problems I've seen begin.

As we were setting up all the new computers about 5 of the 20 computers would freeze immediately upon attempting to scan. Sometimes it pulled one page through, sometimes half a page, sometimes 4 or 5 pages but it would inevitably freeze. After it froze up we could go to My Computer->Right click on the scanner->Click on properties and all we would get it a loading bar saying the scanner is busy. After rebooting the PC, the scanner magically disappears from My Computer completely. This was the case no matter what scanning software we used. After lots of driver un-installations, reboots, and fiddling with everything imaginable here was the only solution we could find, and it worked on all 5 computers: We had to unplug the scanner from the computer and turn it off. Reboot the PC. Plug the scanner into a DIFFERENT usb port. Then turn the scanner on. The scanner would then return under My Computer as fi-5015c #2. From here on it seemed like we had solved the problem, is little sense as that makes. We were wrong.
About a week later, I got calls from three different branches, all saying that they're scanner had froze about halfway through scanning a large stack, and no matter what they could not get the computer to scan again. At this point I was very confused and had to call Fujitsu tech support. I spent about 8 hours on the phone with them, doing some of the most retarded tasks, which I'm sure is because they really had no clue what the problem was. Eventually I had to give up working with them. Eventually we found what we thought was a new fix: We disabled all USB 2.0 ports from the device manager in order to force the scanners to install under the other usb ports. Strangely enough this worked for all three branches. It looked like we had solved the problem. We were wrong.

After having the scanners go down at about 8 of our branches and uninstalling the USB 2.0 ports from each them, a few weeks later I have now been getting calls from three other branches were it is continuing to happen and I am absolutely at my wits end. I am continuously getting calls from them and it is driving me insane because I really have no idea how to fix it. I have to fiddle with installing / uninstalling from the device manager, switching usb ports, rebooting numerous times. Not only am I going insane but so are the users. Today I got a call from one branch, after a half hour I was able to fix it, but it simply when down again randomly after she scanned about 30 documents. Another half hour later and I fixed it again.

Please please please somebody help me solve this problem or it will be the death of me!!!!!

We are running Windows XP with the exact same image on every computer. Around half of the computers have NEVER had an issue like this.

Advertisements