Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random dialing...

• Please log in to reply

johnrickert

johnrickert

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a toshiba laptop. For about a month now when I fire it up, it charges right into dialing my ISP. I have eliminated any software I have installed over the last month but to no avail. Is there a place in the system that I can look at that will tell me who is requesting access to the net?

Thanks, John

Advertisements

~Matt~

~Matt~

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
It may not be someone accessing your internet...Try going tools,internet options and go to the connections tab...
There,you can add or remove any unwanted network settings...

By the way,Do you use wireless,Dial,Or do you have a modem that is pluged into your latpop???

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
SO many things try and dial home it could be anything...depending on how you have your settings.

Assuming you use dial up as your method of connecting (if you don't then delete the dialup entry in the networking area) then Microsoft may be calling home, your antivirus may want to update, anything at all can be calling home

Even worse you could have an infection that is trying to call a premium charge number and run your account way up high.

Not easy to find them so first check for virus/spyware/malware and ensure your system is clean

There is software out there that can log your details and provide you with answers to just what is making the call

First things first there is an excellent malware section of this board that can assist you to make certain you have no gremlins there first

Good Luck

Baudy! :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

There is software out there that can log your details and provide you with answers to just what is making the call

Use netstat /a to see what is connecting to the internet. This is built in to your Operating system.
If you are connecting wirelessly than your machine is dialing so that it can make a connection.
The connection could also be configured to connect automaticly, and that is what it is trying to do.
Turn off your wireless adaptor and reconfigure your dial up software so that it does not try to connect automaticly and see what happens.

johnrickert

johnrickert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I regularly run spyware, and adaware programs. I use AVG as my virus checker and never have had anything get past it. What I was hoping for was a special place to go to see what is trying to gain access or even what is accessing the net now. Maybe this is asking too much.

One of you mentioned software that might do this. Can you name any of the packages? Thanks again. John

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Read post #4 and click on the purple letters.