Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

various computer issues..

• Please log in to reply

crashgirl

crashgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate some help with some problems I've been having with my IBM Thinkpad T43 lately.. I was suggested to post in here as I have windows xp..
I run spybot search and destroy on a regular basis, and was running Adware 2008 free edition up until a bit ago, as I was trying out Windows Live Care in its place to see if it could find anything wrong.. none of the three have come up with any problems..
I have also downloaded malwarebytes' (as suggested in other sections) and do regular disk cleanups and defrags. So that's the background on that.. I made a list of the problems I'm having lately that I could think of:

computer problems:
-freezing up or going really slow when more than one thing is open - such as 2 firefox windows and aim
-firefox often errors and is forced to close
-cant delete some programs from add/remove list (warhammer online)
-mircrosoft office 2007 problems - microsoft word will not open, it freezes on the box that opens that says "microsoft word" when it would normally be loading.
-outlook is 'not responding' VERY often, I have to shut it down a lot and restart

I'm sure these could all be related to one thing being wrong, I just havent figured out what it is.
I know I usually have a lot of processes running but I don't know what I can stop running - a lot are IBM related and I don't know if every single one is necessary or not.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This may be a bad memory issue.
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

crashgirl

crashgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran it over night last night and it did not come up with any issues

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
ONE: You have a lot running that is taking up your Ram, that is an easy fix- add more memory.
TWO:
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).